We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi Drive Tours - what do you get?

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi Drive Tours - what do you get?

Can anybody explain exactly what the Amalfi Drive tours with Goldentours or Aponte Viaggi (or any other company, for that matter) includes? Both seem to operate on the same days, and at the same cost of 34 Euros.

I’ve read both websites, and it is still not clear to me where the tour actually stops for a proper visit. For example, I’m not sure whether they stop in Positano, or only pause for a quick photo?

It does seem that the tour stops in both Amalfi and Ravello, but again I’m not sure what is included in the tour price (if anything) once we are in these two places. It looks like there could be a cathedral and/or museum in Amalfi on one of the tours, but is this extra? And in Ravello, it seems there is Villa Rufolo, but again I’m not clear if this is included.

Incidentally, I would usually have been happy to do this trip ourselves from Sorrento via the SITA bus. I understand it would only cost 7.20 Euros each for the 24-hour ticket which would cover all the journeys starting from Sorrento, and including Amalfi to Ravello and back. But I’m starting to get really put off by reading the stories of erratic and packed SITA busses along this route.

I suppose I need to weigh up the comfort and reliability of an organised tour at 34 Euros against a possible chaotic journey at a fifth of the price.

Any help, ideas or other recommendations would be most appreciated.

Oh, by the way, I’m talking about the second week in September, if that makes any difference to how busy public transport might be.

Thank you, in advance.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,354 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi Drive Tours - what do you get?

well it has been a few years since i did the Amalfi coast tour,i think it was with golden tours but it was organised through British tour reps in Sorrento.

my memory may fail me but as far as i remember this is how it goes.

a nice coach and a drive down to Positano and a chance to take photos from the bus,no stop but just a few minutes in a layby to take photos ........ thats it.

the bus then took us to Amalfi where we have a couple of hours to wander around and vist the catherdral etc. from there we were taken to a resturant in the hills with brilliant views ,a 3 course meal was available for a set price (10euros if i remember right) it also included wine and in my opinion was very good value for money ,the view from the resturant was quite stunning.From there we went to Ravello ,just a short distance away and had a couple of hours to wander round ,visit the gardens etc.from there we took the inland road back to Sorrento..

all in all we thought it was worth the money as it really did save a great deal of time and we saw the things we wanted to see.As this was the only "organised" trip we took during our holiday it was an expense well spent.

we had looked at the possibility of a DIY tour and dissmissed it really due to the time factor and the fact that the price of the organised trip was never going to break the bank.

we actually did do one other organised trip to Rome but we won that in a pub quiz organised by the tour reps but would never have paid to do that ourselves.

Edited: 25 June 2011, 18:16
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,354 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi Drive Tours - what do you get?

BTW the price of the tour does not include any entrance fees that i can remember,all you are really paying for is a nice coach to take you round the area and a rep to explain what to do and where to go.yes to do feel a little like herded cattle ,but for one day i can live with that.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
226 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi Drive Tours - what do you get?

Hi,

I took the golden days tour last year, the post above is correct, but we also had the chance at Amalfi to take a boat trip up and down the coast for a small charge 10 euro, (this is a great photo opp) organised lunch at Ravello was 15 euro, while the food was okay, the view was stunning down the coast. If going again I would skip the meal and gp directly to the Piazza, lots a great looking restuarants and gelato.

The tour buses are only alowed to go one way this is why you come back up over the hills going back to Sorrento. PS if you do the trip, try to make sure you get on the right hand side of the bus, best spot for photos.

Enjoy

Mitch

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,354 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi Drive Tours - what do you get?

I think we were also offered a boat tour but i had an agenda.i wanted to visit the resturant/bar where the comic Spike Milligan went too,there is a photo of it in one of his war memoir books.we went there and were not too impresed ,mind you it had been about 60 years since dear old departed Spike had been in there, I think the tablecloths were still the same though.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amalfi Drive Tours - what do you get?

The only thing I'd like to add is on these tours is find your own place to have lunch. The places the tour operators choose (in my experience) are terrible. Not very nice food at all.

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amalfi Drive Tours - what do you get?

I can remember booking a short cruise from Marina Piccola that anchored off the Fraglioni rocks at Capri to allow a short time for swimming from the boat. It then travelled towards Amalfi again stopping en-route for swimming prior to arriving offshore at Positano. At this juncture a rowing boat appeared, to take anyone ashore that did not wish to carry on to Amalfi. At Amalfi everyone disembarked to spend a couple of hours ashore before rejoining the boat for the return journey.

Having made both the coach journey with 'Goldentours' and the cruise, I found the cruise to be the better option - however you do not get to see Ravello(unless you take a taxi on arrival at Amalfi).

7. Re: Amalfi Drive Tours - what do you get?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Sorrento
Recent Conversations