We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guided tours of pompeii and herculaneum

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
guided tours of pompeii and herculaneum

My wife and I and our 13 year old son are visiting Pompeii and Herculaneum in August. Can anyone recommend a good English speaking guide for a private tour.

Thanks.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: guided tours of pompeii and herculaneum

Do you need a private tour? We were in Sorrento and we picked up the book "I have seen Pompeii" which is a guidebook containing revised routes and map of the city. We got it from the tobacconist or newsagency at the Sorrento Railway station.Plan of house rooms and what they are used for.

The map is of the city with the Via's named and sites numbered. We followed this from the entrance and had no problems following it. The numbered sites also give a good description in the book

I found this a great book to take home also.

Copyright 2007-2008 by d"Oriano Editore at Via Armando Diaz, POMPEI

There is a website

www.dorianoeditore.it

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: guided tours of pompeii and herculaneum

There are several English speaking guides touting for business on arrival at Pompeii if that helps?

Pompeii is easy to reach by train from Sorrento.

www.gianpierofiorentino.com is a good private tour guide as is Ugo from www.sorrentocars.com

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: guided tours of pompeii and herculaneum

Only licensed guides can give you a tour in these places. You are best to wait for others to show up at the entrance to form a group to go with one guide.

4. Re: guided tours of pompeii and herculaneum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 03:16