We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Sorrento

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
210 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Sorrento

hi there, myself and my wonderful new husband have booked our honeymoon for Sorrento 4 days and then moving on to florence. trying to do but of homework before we go. we arrive 7th April 2012, and have booked to stay in hotel caravel. we love our wine and food and are always on the look out for good bargain meal deals etc. im not tight with money by any standards but i do love to get a good deal and value for money.

would love recommendations of little pizzerias/restaurants that are low prices but great service and taste. also would love ideas of where to visit whilst we are there.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Sorrento

btw just realised we will be there during easter, are shops and restaurants open as normal? would like to find the nearest supermarket also so we can buy some wine to enjoy on our balcony - thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Sorrento

Ristorante Pizzeria da Gigino is right in the centre of town and is reasonably priced, serves good Italian food and wine, and has excellent service. It’s also very busy, so get there early or be prepared to wait for a table.

Be sure to try limoncello while you're there if you've never had it before (or even if you have). This brisk, ice-cold lemony after-dinner drink is a specialty of the region.

Sorrento doesn't really have any major "sites", but it's a pleasant, if touristy, town to wander around in. It does make a great base for exploring nearby. Depending upon your interests, you can easily visit places like Naples, Capri, the Amalfi coast, historical sites such as Pompeii, Herculaneum, Stabiae, and more.

I'll let others weigh in on what things will be like over Easter; anywhere else in Italy, I'd say you'd find a lot of things closed. (I usually try to avoid visiting Italy during major holidays for this reason). Sorrento, however, is so tourist-friendly that the usual store closings for holidays may not be the case there. I haven't been there over Easter so I can't be sure.

Edited: 01 January 2012, 22:08
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Sorrento

rwstewart thanks a million for taking the time to reply to me there and give me your recommendations and suggestions, really appreciate it! Am dying to try limoncello ha

Edited: 01 January 2012, 22:21
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,877 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Sorrento

We enjoyed this restaurant. You can see the menu on this link.

http://www.illeonerosso.it/

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Sorrento

oh thanks for that link twigsoxford the prices are great :0)

cant beat the red lion lol

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
893 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Sorrento

Ristorante Pizzeria da Gigino - Great atmosphere, reasonable prices. Located in town on a side street, it is a perfect reflection of Sorrento. If the weather is good, sit outside for dinner. We loved it.

Ristorante Bagni Delfino - Awesome view of the Bay of Naples and Mt. Vesuvius (notice my Avatar photo taken there). One of the best seafood places in town. The walk down to the waterfront is cool too.

For a real day trip adventure, take the early ferry from Sorrento over to Ischia and go to one of the hot spring spas. We took a public bus from the arrival port and went around the western end of the island to the charming port of Sant’Angelo. You get to experience the real people of Ischia on such a ride. Sit outside and have Panini and “vino de casa”. From there, you can walk to spas that utilize the volcanic activity to heat their many pools. For €6 we obtained towels and lounge chairs for an hour of terrific relaxation. We also collected lots of sea glass as we walked along the dark sand beaches. This was one of our most memorable experiences while in the Sorrento area.

You are visiting our favorite place on the planet in Sorrento. Savor every moment.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 18:14
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Sorrento

trippletime thanks a million for taking the time to write a reply to me i really appreciate it.

sounds lovely the way you described it all, very excited to be honeymooning in sorrento and florence. just bought a little pocket guide on florence and am yet to find one on sorrento, would love some suggestions :0)

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
893 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Sorrento

There is a publication called "TimeOut - Naples, Capri, Sorrento & the Amalfi Coast" that we found quite helpful.

Ebury Publishing 2007

ISBN10: 1-84670-008-6

Barnes & Noble carries it or can get it for you.

Enjoy!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in Sorrento

Will look out for that thanks again x

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
210 posts
14 reviews