We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and return

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and return

Have read reviews of how it can be "standing room only" on these buses. Does it get that crowded on these buses in May?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and return

Yes. You should board the bus at the terminus stops in both Amalfi and in Sorrento (in front of the Circumvesuviana train station). Seats on the bus can fill up quickly at both terminus points, at certain times of the day.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and return

In the middle of March, mid-week, would you recommend the 8:30, 9;15 or 10:00am bus at the Circumvesuviana train station in Sorrento? I'd like to get a good seat on the right side of the bus. How far in advance does the queue form?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and return

The queue can start to form 20 minutes or more prior to the scheduled departure time of the bus. Remember that there are only about 26 seats on the right hand side of the bus. Mid-March is the beginning of the shoulder season, so the bus will not be as crowded as it would be around Easter and into May.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and return

Thanks so much! Especially helpful to know there are only 26 seats.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and return

Thanks GAC for your info. I'm tossing up between a bus "tour" or coping with the bus ride to Amalfi/Ravello and a ferry back. Do you think the earliest bus would be the least crowded?

perth scotland
Level Contributor
130 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and return

Suggest you get into the weights room for a few weeks before you join this "queue"..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and return

Oh. So I'm giving up on the idea of the bus ride - I want to enjoy the trip. Thanks for putting it plainly for me :)

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and return

During the summer, the first SITA bus of the morning from Sorrento to Amalfi departs at 6:30 a.m. I think that you would find a seat on that bus. A 24-hr. bus ticket costs 7.20 Euros.

On the return, you might take the afternoon Alicost hydrofoil (assuming that it's in service when you're there).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and return

I guess I really do like the bus & boat choice as I keep going back to it. Hmm, a very early morning and a long day could be on the cards for me. I will check out Alicost too.

Many thanks again for your help.

Lynne

England
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and return

Hi all

We are looking at Going to Amalfi from Sorrento return after lunch to return in the evening - can anyone post website links of bus/ferry/hydrofoil companies with timetables to see if this is doable. We are probably just able to stand if need be in the bus! Going soon!