We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would it be practicle to make Sorrento a base for AC?

South Africa
Level Contributor
194 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Would it be practicle to make Sorrento a base for AC?

Can anyone please advise me if making Sorrento a base for visiting other town on the Amalfi Coast such as Positano, Praiano and Amalfi would be a good idea? What is the distance between these towns and the best way to travel to them.

Thank you very much, any advise is much appreciated.

New York
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would it be practicle to make Sorrento a base for AC?

Depending on the amount of days you plan on spending in those towns and what other type of "trips" & "sights" you are planning it might make much more sense to base yourself on the Amalfi Coast itself and not Sorrento.

How many days are you going to be there? What time of year? What do you plan to do with your time?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would it be practicle to make Sorrento a base for AC?

Hi Wendy, I am in the midst of planning a trip to the Amalfi Coast in September and have decided on Sorrento as a base. I realize that Sorrento is more of a gateway to the Amalfi Coast, but my preliminary research shows that it is well linked for transport to Pompeii, Capri, and all the towns on the AC that I would like to visit (Positano, Amalfi and Ravello). Some might feel that Sorrento does not exude the same charm as the towns on the AC, but I like the idea of staying in a place that has lots of restaurants and bars and has a bit of buzz to it. I guess it all boils down to what your ideal trip would be. Perhaps you can split your time and stay in Sorrento for half the time and a town on the AC for the rest?

Lafayette...
Level Contributor
198 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would it be practicle to make Sorrento a base for AC?

Ditto ... that's how we're doing it as well ... to take advantage of the transportation links into the area.

4. Re: Would it be practicle to make Sorrento a base for AC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 March 2012, 08:03
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
542 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would it be practicle to make Sorrento a base for AC?

Yes, it's practical. And if you have time, it's also worth considering splitting your time between the two. We stayed several nights in Sorrento, then moved to Positano, and I'm glad we did both.

Sorreno is a lovely town, and offers more direct transportation to many of the region's sights. There are regular busses that depart from in front of the train station and travel down the Amalfi coast to the town of Amalfi, with stops along the way, and you can do this as a day trip if you stay in Sorrento. We did this one day - rode all the way to Amalfi, took another bus up to Ravello, spent several hours there, bus back down to Amalfi and took a boat back to Sorrento. We also did day trips to Pompeii/Herculaneum and Capri.

Positano offered gorgeous views, and we were able to relax more during that portion of the trip and just soak up the atmosphere, as we'd already done all of the sightseeing noted above. We did a couple of excursions along the coast in a small zodiac boat with a guide, which was fantastic. And there are some good restaurants there as well. Our hotel room had a balcony with a postcard view of the town. I really hated to leave!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would it be practicle to make Sorrento a base for AC?

Distance isn't particularly relevant, since the geography is what determines travel times - as you'll perhaps gather from this....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132567370

For the new website's address and some assistance with understanding the schedules, try "Help with SITA bus timetables" entry in the "Top Questions" list!

Whilst Sorrento has its conveniences, once you see the AC proper you could well regret a decision not to spend at least some of your time there.

Although it's well overdue for an update (so do cross-check any times, prices etc - and ignore all references to the 'Metro del Mare' for now), there's a useful 'Travel Directory' to the various towns and villages along both the Sorrento Peninsula and Amalfi Coast that can be downloaded from the official tourism website, using...

costiera.it/images/pdf/TravelDirectory_En.pdf

Peter

South Africa
Level Contributor
194 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would it be practicle to make Sorrento a base for AC?

Thanks for all the wonderful replies. One more question - would hiring a car be a good idea to move around the AC or is public transport good enough?

South Africa
Level Contributor
194 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would it be practicle to make Sorrento a base for AC?

I also like the idea of splitting out time between Sorrento and a town on the AC. I have heard that Praiano is preferable to Positano - what is your opinion please?

Level Contributor
27 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would it be practicle to make Sorrento a base for AC?

Yes, Sorrento is an excellent place to use as a base for exploring this part of Italy. You will be able to take public transportation to lots of beautiful places like Positano, Amalfi, Atrani, Ravello, Pompeii and Naples. You can also catch a ferry to Capri. Sorrento is a charming seaside town with some great restaurants. You can travel to the other seaside towns (like Amalfi) via buses. I think Sorrento is only about 9 miles from there (14km) Public transportation should be fine -- no need to hire a private car unless you prefer the intimacy of it and have the extra funds. You can check the bus schedules online. You will need to purchase your tickets before you board (available in machines or in shops).

As for Positano, it is the more expensive of the two towns you mention.

10. Re: Would it be practicle to make Sorrento a base for AC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 08:42
Get answers to your questions about Sorrento
Recent Conversations