We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet place to stay in Sorrento

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet place to stay in Sorrento

Hi, looking for a very quiet place to stay in Sorrento, really important as bad sleeper. No noise inside or out. Also very near to train station and bus station for trips to Pompei and Amalfi coast as husband and I are not very mobile (mad I know, but really want to see Pompei) even if we only last an hour! Dont care about views or food etc. just a relaxed place to sleep and easy transport. Any information much appreciated. Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet place to stay in Sorrento

Check Sorrento hotels www.venere.com

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet place to stay in Sorrento

www.hotelantichemura.com

Central (close to train & bus station) yet in a quiet location with an oasis of a pool / garden area set amongst lemon and orange trees, great staff, ask for a quiet room - they are very amenable - probably a top floor so no noise from tiled floors above. They have electric shutters at room windows which block out all noise. Great breakfasts.

Stayed there a few times - twice with elderly parents, one on sticks and in a wheelchair. Can't recommend highly enough for your needs.

NBB.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet place to stay in Sorrento

15 minutes in free shuttle bus to central Sorrento is very quiet sitting on a cliff face outside Massa Lubrense, The Delfino Hotel may suite your requirments..

Have you also thought about going to Herculanium? Better preserved than Pompei and only a station further along the line.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 13:17
UK
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet place to stay in Sorrento

Thanks for the information on the hotels. The hotel antichemura looks very central, thanks for the link. Certainly seems to suit our needs. The Delfino looks nice but a bit out of the way. Yes, plan to see Herculanium too. Once again, thanks for the info.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
120 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet place to stay in Sorrento

If you don't mind being outside of town, you might consider the Hotel Prestige -- that's where we are staying. Beautiful property located a few KM outside of the city. They do feature a free shuttle to get you into and out of Sorrento in the AM/PM so that you can tour during the day, and return to the hotel for a restful night's sleep ...

UK
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet place to stay in Sorrento

Thanks. Hey, I like the idea of the bicycle rental, I am always looking for that extra when we go on holiday.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quiet place to stay in Sorrento

I've stayed at Hotel Central on the main street, Corso Italia, near the train station. The rooms facing the rear are quiet. You will be centrally located, breakfast is good and the family who owns and runs it are very nice. They will help you with a driver right to the train steps if you need one. Be aware that the steps at the train station can be tricky as the lift didn't work sometimes.

Ordinarily, I don't recommend staying on Corso Italia, and most people want to be in the center, but with a quiet rear facing room, this may tick your boxes.

I am defintiely not a fan of staying in/too near Massa Lubrense and would higly recommend against it for you. You want to be near transportation for Pompeii and Herculano, you have mobility issues, and Massa is a huge hassle to get to/from. It's also not a very attractive place, in one of the most beautiful areas of Italy.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quiet place to stay in Sorrento

Sorry--I should have read your post more carefully. I am an insomniac, and must have a comfortable bed and pillow, and silence, or near silence, in order to sleep. I was focused on your actual room, and not "outside." Forget the Hotel Central suggestion if outside noise will also disturb you.

Hotel Christina is VERY quiet, very accessible for disabled, if I recall, but you'll have the hassle factor of a shuttle.

The problem is that if you want to be very near the train station, there is a lot of unavoidable external noise in Sorrento.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
538 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quiet place to stay in Sorrento

Another vote for the Antiche Mura. Great central location, and our room was very quiet - overlooking the big ravine next to the property, Just be sure to specify you want a quiet location, as there are some rooms nearer the front (although it's on a relatively small street) or the pool area, which you probably don't want.

UK
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quiet place to stay in Sorrento

Thanks again for the info. Looked up the Christina which looks fine for those more mobile, the reviews keep mentioning the lovely 40 minute walk into town!

We need as little walking as possible due to health problems (both of us). Want to save any energy etc. for pompei etc. I know its a tall order getting a place central and as near to train station etc. as possible and a really quiet room as well. Would have considered staying in Pompei itself but looks difficult to get to Amalfi from there. Would even consider self catering accommodation if you know of somewhere. Thanks again for any help.