We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NAP to Sorrento: Any special sightseeing?

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
NAP to Sorrento: Any special sightseeing?

We will be hiring a car/driver to take us from Naples Airport to Sorrento.

I'm trying to decide if I should have the driver take us directly to the hotel, or if I should arrange for some sightseeing along the way, before we get to the hotel.

I have no idea what there is to see on that

route, if anything.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mamaroneck, New York
Level Contributor
175 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NAP to Sorrento: Any special sightseeing?

Pompei & Ercolano are en route.....so is Vesuvius. Just depends on your energy level after traveling.

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NAP to Sorrento: Any special sightseeing?

Thanks, Wanderlust....those are perfect suggestions. But we've already made stops at all of those sights.

I really should have clarified...this is not our first trip to this region. I was really wondering if there are any interesting towns, historical places, or especially beautiful areas to stop and see.

Thanks again.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NAP to Sorrento: Any special sightseeing?

These may give you some more ideas.... although both are well overdue for an update (so do cross-check any times, prices etc - and ignore all references to the 'Metro del Mare')....

- for the towns and villages around Vesuvius, a 100+ page leaflet "Discovering Vesuvius"....

http://www.costadelvesuvio.com/brocure.pdf

- a useful 'Travel Directory' to the Sorrento Peninsula and Amalfi Coast that can be downloaded from the official tourism website, using...

costiera.it/images/pdf/TravelDirectory_En.pdf

Between them, I think they cover just about all of that route!

Otherwise, pictures etc from places to which we've been...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

Peter

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NAP to Sorrento: Any special sightseeing?

Its a bit of a detour from the route to Sorrento, but to the north of Naples is Caserta with its palace - a UNESCO heritage site. We havent been yet, but its on our list of places to go next time in Naples. Im not sure if its worth the detour for you, maybe someone who has been there can say for sure:

reidsitaly.com/destinations/…caserta.html

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NAP to Sorrento: Any special sightseeing?

The Reggia di Caserta is certainly magnificent, with some wonderful gardens and 'water features' if you can make time to see them all...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/caserta

However it's a fair distance off the road to Sorrento!

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131446912

... but if that is what you choose to do, then go the whole hog and ask the driver to also show you the huge aqueduct, which straddles the Maddaloni valley - dwarf the road and railway line it spans - to deliver those waters...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/86381287

(It's otherwise an awkward journey from Sorrento, with the only excursion I've read of - by the GoldenTours company - allowing little longer than it takes to see just the Royal Apartments?)

Peter

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NAP to Sorrento: Any special sightseeing?

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions and the links.

I will certainly have to do more homework and decide what to arrange. I just think that this whole area of Italy is so beautiful. This is why we keep returning.

Peter, thanks for mentioning the Sorrento area travel directory. And Ischia is definitely on my list for a visit. My cousin has just returned from a few days there and found it delightful.

7. Re: NAP to Sorrento: Any special sightseeing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 07:16