We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi & Positano via bus - where will I end up?

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi & Positano via bus - where will I end up?

If I take a bus from Amalfi or to Positano via SITA bus, where exactly will it take me (as in what stop or which relative area).

I wanted to go to Amalfi, Positano and Ravello (not necessary in that order) in one day and am having a difficult time locating the bus map (schedule I have).

Also, from Amalfi to Ravello which bus would I take?

Thanks!

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi & Positano via bus - where will I end up?

It is rather difficult to do Positano, Amalfi and Ravello in a day by bus/ferry in a day from Sorrento. Due to the time required and the connexions.

The bus from Sorrento stops just above Positano on the main road.It is recommended that you get off at the second stop and then walk down through Positano itself to the beach area. You can then get a ferry to Amalfi.

In Amalfi you get a local bus to Ravello. There are two buses open top and regular service which is a lot cheaper from the coach place on the front.

You have to return via Amalfi by bus , then you have the option of taking the bus back to Sorrento or catching the ferry but it is unlikely you will be back in time for that option.

It really needs two days, one to visit Positano by bus or ferry and one to Amalfi and Ravello by bus.

Edited: 23 July 2012, 17:56
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi & Positano via bus - where will I end up?

Bus schedule Sorrento to Amalfi and Amalfi to Ravello

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5110.pdf

Amalfi coast ferry www.alicost.it

www.amalficoastweb.com

canada
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi & Positano via bus - where will I end up?

There is only one main road along the coast, you don´t need a bus map.

In Amalfi, there is this round about, town on one side, buspark and boat dock on the other. The buses park 3 deep. Only the drivers know which bus moves next. The bus to Ravello will move to the eastern part of the circle for boarding, the scramble is obvious, as buses are not frequent.

The problem with Positano is that the bus route and stop s are on high grounds, and the stop is only intermediate, often there is not enough seats free, so passengers will have to wait for the next bus half an hour later, still with no guarantee being able to board. This is why we advise people to walk down hill all the way to the boat dock. But boats stop running early even in calm seas, so beware. This is the reason L2r said your chances to do it in a day are slim.

toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi & Positano via bus - where will I end up?

hmmm I didnt take into consideration the delays due to large volumes of ppl (I was hoping that October would be less crowded). I think I will reconsider Ravello. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amalfi & Positano via bus - where will I end up?

I was there (Positano) the 3rd week of October last year to Nov. 1 and it remained pretty busy. Buses coming from Amalfi and Sorrento were packed and quite a few breezed past people waiting at the stop nearest me in Positano (the La Sponda stop) because the bus was too full.

You never know - it can depend on time of day. If you try to get an early bus from Sorrento, you may have no problems but standing the entire way is not an unknown occurrence - in both directions even in October.

Level Contributor
285 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amalfi & Positano via bus - where will I end up?

We'll be taking the 1:40 or 2:10 SITA bus from Positano (Sponda station) to Sorrento in September. Really hope there is seats for us on one of those two!

If we miss both buses and need to find a taxi, how much can we expect the ride from Positano to Sorrento to cost?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amalfi & Positano via bus - where will I end up?

A taxi or car service will probably run about 60-80 euros depending on who you take; not sure about this season's prices but I have seen a number of posts mentioning something around these prices - it isn't cheap. It isn't every bus that is full - just that sometimes you do have to wait while one passes you by and hopefully, get on the next.

Level Contributor
285 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amalfi & Positano via bus - where will I end up?

Wow that is pretty expensive! I guess we will get there for the 1:40 so we still have the 2:10 option. Worst case scenario - we'll have to spend on the taxi.

Thanks, MomCat!

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amalfi & Positano via bus - where will I end up?

The other option is to use Goldentours but you dont really get to see Positano.

See this Thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/…42407183

concord nh
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amalfi & Positano via bus - where will I end up?

I think Positano is a "must-see" town so we will be taking the earliest bus we can get so we can get a seat on the right side to get the best view. May not get to Amalfi but Positano should give us a good example of the Amalfi Coast. Anyone know the last bus back in mid-Oct? I believe boats are still running to Sorrento then but not sure of their last departure. Anyone have anything on that?