We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-Italian restaurants

London, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Non-Italian restaurants

Does anyone know if there're any ethnic restaurants in Sorrento? I do tend to tire of Italian food quite quickly i.e. by about the third day! Get cravings for spicy Asian food in particular. Couldn't see anything in the reviews.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-Italian restaurants

There may be some, but it appears an Italian full house as far as TA's listings are concerned!

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g187782-Sorren…

Peter

UK
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-Italian restaurants

In Sorrento,

Japanese

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187782-…

Take away kebabs!

Look for Italian dishes with peperoncino (chilli) in the ingredients. It's not all pizza and pasta you will also find grilled fish, steaks, roast chicken etc.

Many years ago there used to be a Chinese resto but it closed due to lack of customers.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-Italian restaurants

Lesson learnt....

When on the TA restaurants page, click the blueish "More Cuisines" - to see, duuh, more cuisines!

Peter

London, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-Italian restaurants

Thanks all of you. We always carry chili sprinkles! I've had some lovely seafood salads. I'm a bit limited as I don't eat meat and some of the fish mains are a bit steep.

I guess most Europeans outside the cities are happy with their own cuisine as many british are. In London like the US cuties we're used to so much variety. I think these bread baskets are an appetite killer! Can't help eat it though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-Italian restaurants

Thanks all of you. We always carry chili sprinkles! I've had some lovely seafood salads. I'm a bit limited as I don't eat meat and some of the fish mains are a bit steep.

I guess most Europeans outside the cities are happy with their own cuisine as many british are. In London like the US cuties we're used to so much variety. I think these bread baskets are an appetite killer! Can't help eat it though.

We'll try the Japanese.

UK
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-Italian restaurants

This small place serves organic veggie and vegan food.

UK
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-Italian restaurants

With the exception of the large Italian cities of Rome, Venice and Milan, eating out in Italy only gives the option of Italian or the local cuisine. From my experience Sorrento is no exception. There was a Chinese restaurant in the town but that closed a few years ago.

Having said that, there is still a good choice of things to eat even if one sticks to the local Neapolitan/Sorrentese cuisine - a lot of fish and seafood dishes, a variety of pasta dishes, many pizzas, salads, grilled steaks - all simply prepared using the freshest of ingredients - delicious.

Enjoy!

perth scotland
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Non-Italian restaurants

I understand that Thailand and Vietnam cater for this type of culinary perversion..

Glasgow
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Non-Italian restaurants

I almost went home early because there were no deep fried Mars bars to be found anywhere in Sorrento and missed the rich variety of artery clogging cuisine found in our great British cities........;-)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Non-Italian restaurants

There's a lot more to the local cuisine than pasta doused in red sauce, and gnocchi done in the style of Sorrento... look around and even there you may be able to find a few of these treats:

bb-napoli.com/english/specialities-guide.pdf

If worst comes to worst, scoot over to Naples - where "More Cuisines" does mean just that!

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g187785-Naples…

.... although not all the city's eateries are classified correctly:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187785-…

Peter