We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is sorrento just a base ?

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Is sorrento just a base ?

Flights booked for july for two weeks and was thinking

Sorrento 5 nights

Positano 5 nights

Capri 4 nights

My main concern , is Sorrento just a good base for day trips ? everyone seems to stay in Sorrento and then spend most of the time going out on day trips or is it a good destination in its on right ?

We are a party of two adults and a child of 12 and although we do want to do a few trips we don't want to travel every day .

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,139 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is sorrento just a base ?

Sorrento is a lovely Town, ideal for childen most Hotels have pools, the Lanes are great to explore loads of shops of all discriptions, personally

think for someone with a child better than Positano and Capri,

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,966 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is sorrento just a base ?

Sorrento is a lovely town in its own right, and not just a base, but it's also a very convenient base with excellent transport options - The Circumvesuviana (Naples, Pompeii, and Herculaneum), buses (Amalfi Coast), and ferries (Amalfi Coast, Capri).

Vagabonda

Edited: 07 January 2013, 15:48
perth scotland
Level Contributor
130 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is sorrento just a base ?

Positano is a spectacular, steep and expensive (or is that steeply expensive.?) place to stay.. Comments about Capri are unnecessary.

Sorrento has all you need for a week and the area around has everything else for the rest of your time..

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,174 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is sorrento just a base ?

I'd spend the two weeks in Sorrento if I were you.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,966 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is sorrento just a base ?

Your allocations of days will serve you well – Sorrento is lovely, but not the Amalfi Coast, and so you would also appreciate time on the Amalfi Coast and thus avoid daily travel back and forth.

Enjoy the diversity of experiences!

Vagabonda

New York
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is sorrento just a base ?

I agree with Vagabonda and would split the time up. Staying in Sorrento for 2 weeks would not serve you well at all to really enjoy the Amalfi Coast or Capri.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is sorrento just a base ?

Thanks for all replies going to stick to plan , love the description of Positano "steeply expensive" as yet not found a hotel with pool in my budget £200 ish a night. How easy is is to use another hotels pool ? Also I have been reading a couple of reports of having to wear a swim hat in the pool is this normal ?

New York
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is sorrento just a base ?

There are very few hotels with pools in Positano. The sea is far more enjoyable anyway! (IMO)

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is sorrento just a base ?

Sorrento is much more than just a base and yes, is defn. less expensive than Positano.

It is a vibrant, bustling town with historic lanes and a small working fishing harbour for local colour. Great views of Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples. Easy access to Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Capri, Ischia, Pompeii and Herculaneum.

No beaches to speak of for your 12 yr old but bathing platforms built out over the sea. Positano better for beaches but the AC area is not renowned for beaches.

We have stayed on Capri for a few nights in the past but never Positano which is beautiful. Capri is a lot quieter at night after the last tourist ferries.

Depends how much you want to move around. Recommend finding accommodation with air conditioning and a pool in July!

NBB.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,139 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is sorrento just a base ?

Would agree with NBB, spend the bulk of the time in Sorrento, ideal for a 12 year old, no beaches as such but not really nice beaches in Positano either, Cannot comment on Capri have visited once a few years ago no desire to return just to touristy, and expensive,