We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento transport and sites

Manchester England
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento transport and sites

Hello,

My husband and I are planning to stay in Sorrento in April for a week, we are both over 65. We were intending to purchase the card that covers transport and entry to sites etc. As U.K. citizens do we qualify for free entry to sites? If so is it possible to purchase a transport only card?

Thank you

Lommel, Belgium
Level Contributor
113 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento transport and sites

yes, you can buy the ARTE card that includes public transport and entrance to pompeii, herculaneum and so on...

everybody can buy it. we bought it at the train station in naples before taking the train to sorrento. in my opinion, it's a good choice to buy it if you plan to visit lots of things and use public transport

UK
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento transport and sites

Yes, EU citizens over 65 get free entry to the state run sites. Take your passports with you.

There is a "Unicocampania 3T" three day ticket for transport only which will cover transport costs both in and outside the Sorrento and Amalfi Coast area. There are also tickets that cover just the Sorrento and Amalfi Coast area, "Unico Costiera". We have not bought the 3T ticket ourselves because for us there is no saving over buying return train tickets on the day for Herculaneum and/or Pompeii and the 24 hour bus tickets for any trips over to the Amalfi Coast. This is because the train tickets are not that expensive and we like to spread any sightseeing over the period of our stay and not have to do it all in 3 consecutve days.

This link will give you the info on the transport tickets for visitors to the area so you can do the maths to see whether it would be worth your while. None of the tickets cover sea journeys.

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

UK
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento transport and sites

PS - to be strictly accurate that should be "65 and over" not "over 65"!

Manchester England
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento transport and sites

Thank you, exactly what we needed to know.

Leixlip, Co. Kildare
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento transport and sites

My wife and I (70 & 68) will be in Sorrento from May 1-8, 2013. This trip is to celebrate her birthday. We would like to visit Pompeii, Herculaneum (not sure if Mt. Vesuvius is included or visitable at either of these places), Amalfi coast (including Positano), Capri Island and possibly Ishica. Do you think this venture is doable for the time of our stay? Is there anything we left out or should consider seeing or doing?

You said that "EU citizens over 65 get free entry to the state run sites" -- so I assume apart from transportation the above attractions are free for us?

Since we are over 65 do we need to purchase the ARTE card? If I understand from what you are saying the public transport is inexpensive and we would not be pushed to do everything in 3 days if we can get in places free.

Another concern is that since we will not have a car, we need to depend on public transportation and our hotel is Le Terrazze 20 min up the hillside from Sorrento. We understand there is a bus outside the door of the hotel. Since both of us will be up and down at least twice a day to Sorrento and the hotel, would there be a ticket to cover this type of expense? Would you know what bus in Sorrento goes up to our hotel at Via Nastro Verde 98, 80067 Sorrento, Italy?

Thanks for your help and advice.

UK
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento transport and sites

The easy questions first!

Yes you will get free entry to Pompeii and Herculaneum so no need for the ARTE Card. Take your passports.

You need to take the Sita buses that go between Sorrento and Sant' Agata "via Nastro Verde", second timetable in the link. This should be shown on the destination sign on the bus.

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5071.pdf

As to the other questions it does depend on how you plan your sightseeing. A return journey from your hotel to Sorrento will cost you 5 euro each. In your case because you have the journey into town as well as the onward journeys to elsewhere, a multiday ticket might well pay off.

So it might be that you buy a 3T ticket (20euro) to cover the days you go to Pompeii, Vesuvius etc and a 3 day Unico Costiera ticket (18euro) to cover the days you go in the other direction to the Amalfi Coast. IMO (and I stand to be corrected!), because the difference in price is so little, and if you are going to be out and about every day, the 3T ticket which will cover all your land transport needs would be simpler and allow you some spontaneity in your sightseeing.

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

Here is the local Tourist Office Guide which has some good info to help you plan.

http://www.sorrentotourism.com/en/index.php

Edited: 02 April 2013, 18:13
Leixlip, Co. Kildare
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento transport and sites

Oh thank you so much for this info. -- great we seem to be all set for our venture :-)

Please clarify one point. You said if we go out and about every day buy the 3T ticket but you sent link for Unico. That is ok, I can find the link for 3T, but thought a mistake was made.

Can we purchase a Unico ticket at the airport to cover us from there to our hotel? I am nor sure about how the Unico ticket works. Do we purchase the most expensive one (I assume that is the 18 euro one you mentioned) and then the fair price is deducted for each trip?

Thanks again

UK
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrento transport and sites

Yes, thought I had linked to the the 3T ticket (20 euro) info, sorry.

Your three day ticket becomes valid at the time you punch/validate it in the ticket machine behind the bus driver on your first journey which you must do or face big fines! You also need to write your name on the back, this is to stop people sharing tickets. You just show it to the driver when you board on subsequent journeys. It will run out at the end of the third day ie it is not a 72 hour ticket.

How will you be travelling from the airport? The Curreri airport bus is the most straightforward way but it does not take the public transport tickets. You catch it from the front of the Departures Hall which is to the left when you go out of the Arrivals Hall. Fares costs 10 euro pp, you pay the driver, and it drops you off at the railway station in Sorrento from where you can catch a bus to your hotel.

www.curreriviaggi.it/inglese/E_index.html

You can buy the 3T tickets at the newsagents shop at Sorrento station (as well as other places in Sorrento, there is a link to a list on the 3T ticket page). The shop is located in front of the station at the bottom of the stairs from the railway platforms. There is also a very helpful tourist info place (in a converted railway carriage) just by.

Unfortunately taxis in Sorrento are very expensive and if you use one from the station you could be looking at 25 euro plus to your hotel. It is some time since I took a taxi that distance so can't give you a better idea of the current cost.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 00:47
Leixlip, Co. Kildare
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorrento transport and sites

You are so kind to forward this info to me -- thank you very much!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorrento transport and sites

You might also like to have a quick look through...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k63…

Peter