We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost to get from Naples airport to Massa Lubrense area

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
cost to get from Naples airport to Massa Lubrense area

I'm trying to get an estimated cost for 4 of us to travel from the Nples airport to a farm house near Massa Lubrense. I have discovered the bus which will take us from the airport to Sorrento..from there we will need to use a cab. Is there any where I can find approximate cab fares. I know our "house" is about 6km from Sorrento.

Alternatively is to take a ferry or hydrofoil we need to get from the airport to the harbor and then take a cab. Am I right in assuming bus is easier/cheaper? Have also got a quote on private airport pickup and drive direct to farmhouse so am checking to see if it's worth paying more for the simplicity of getting to our stop...or if it's simply "too much" more :)

UK
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost to get from Naples airport to Massa Lubrense area

The airport bus to Sorrento railway station is the most straightforward way to get to Sorrento. There may be a bus from the station that stops near your lodging but without an address cannot say. Taxis in the area are very expensive and without knowing the cost of the transfer it is difficult to compare the costs. Nevertheless, if you can afford it, I would go with the convenience of the door to door private transfer, a more comfortable way to start your holiday.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost to get from Naples airport to Massa Lubrense area

modem ... thanks this will actually be 10 days into our holiday having an extended visit to Sicily, Sorrento and Amalfi. Here is where we'll spend 5 nights http://www.vrbo.com/271438.

The quote I have for the private transfer door to ( almost door as driveway seems to be very narrow lol) is 90 Euro.... and I am tempted to take it for simplicity's sake. I think the direct bus is 11 euro each plus either cab or bus at the other end. . I do plan to look for another transfer quote as well.

I haven't posted our complete itinerary on any one forum as Italy seems to be broken into much smaller chunks than we are here in BC. Our plan for the Sorrento part is to do a day trip by public transport to Pompeii and then do some hiking in the hills and some sitting and doing nothing for the other 3 days with maybe a 1/2 day trip into Sorrento itself for one afternoon/evening.

Will be celebrating an anniversary while there so any recommendation for a good local restaurant appreciated as well. More interested in really good food and nice ambiance ..

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost to get from Naples airport to Massa Lubrense area

Bus Naples airport to Sorrento www.curreriviaggi.it then taxi to Massa Lubrense

Sorrento bus sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cost to get from Naples airport to Massa Lubrense area

From the last set of rates I've seen for Sorrento taxis: €4 to hire the taxi (slightly dearer on Sundays or out of hours), €0.50 per bag, and then €3.20 per km.... all plus 20% as you're going into the adjoining comune, so the driver has to return empty!

If 6km.... 4 + (4 * 0.50) + [(6 * 3.20) * 1.20] .... about 29 or 30 Euro, give or take any subsequent rises.

With four €10 tickets on the Curreri Viaggi bus from the airport to Sorrento, that's some €70... or an extra €20 to be driven?

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cost to get from Naples airport to Massa Lubrense area

Peter. Thank you. That's exactly the type of info I was looking for! Sometimes bus/cab/local bus etc is so much cheaper it's worth the inconvenience..and sometimes it's worth paying a bit extra to not be inconvenienced lol. I figure the 5 euro each will be one less cup of coffee somewhere.

Edited: 03 May 2013, 07:40
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cost to get from Naples airport to Massa Lubrense area

The reviewers' comments about access to the buses are somewhat inconsistent - so you might want to check with the owner, as to quite where the nearest bus route and stops are... since you'll probably want to use them to go into Sorrento several times?

Local maps of the public transport system.....

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

.... in particular:

www.unicocampania.it/files/mappe/costiera.pdf

Most frequent seems to be the EAVbus company - who've a regular service out to Massa (from Meta, through Sorrento) - as shown on the first page of this PDF....

eavbus.it/export/sites/default/eavbus/orari/…

... whereas the SITA line offers just the odd one or two (even in high season, usually!)

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

Note that both those apply for spring and autumn, but will eventually be replaced by versions for summer! SITA tend to use the same URL.

The EAVbus one was produced last October and should be good until mid-June.... but, if relevant, watch for an "estate" (summer) entry appearing in the list here:

eavbus.it/opencms/…index.html

And see this, for the tickets used for travel wholly within the Sorrento peninsula / AC area...

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

Four of those at €2.50 would be much cheaper than a Sorrento taxi... as long as you're within easy reach of the bus route!

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

UK
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cost to get from Naples airport to Massa Lubrense area

I'm afraid I can't get your link to work.

If that is 90 euro for the 4 of you to somewhere near Massa, that is a good price. Average price for 2-3 pass to Sorrento itself from the airport is 70 - 80 euro. IME about 5 years ago a local taxi in early afternon to an hotel about 6kms outside Sorrento cost the two of us 35 euro.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cost to get from Naples airport to Massa Lubrense area

Cut the full stop off the end, then it works!

P

UK
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cost to get from Naples airport to Massa Lubrense area

Peter - thanks

For somewhere for a special lunch (to take advantage of the views in daylight) take a look at the fishing village of Marina del Cantone, very pretty setting. There are a range of restos down there to choose from. There is a bus service that goes through Massa, look for the "Nerano Cantone" service on this current bus timetable.

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5071.pdf

Here are some of the restos. The first is our favourite splurge when in the area, it can be a bit formal for some.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g194819-…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g194819-…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1488739…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1472375…

ristorantecantuccio.com/cantucciomarehome.ht…

For reviews of restos in the rest of the area, including Michelin starred places, see this review link

tripadvisor.co.uk/…EATERY_OVERVIEW_BOX

Edited: 03 May 2013, 13:13
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cost to get from Naples airport to Massa Lubrense area

Thank you both very much. Yes the bus service appears to be shall we say , uneven, from the reviewers . I have copied a link to the 3 day artcard as expect it will be good value for visiting Pompeii and a day trip into Sorrento. I do think we'll spend 2 of our 4 days just being local. Thanks as well for the links for restos and for Marina del Cantone. While we're not travelling till Sept I have been surprised at how many hotels were already booked.

Our full itinerary is this

Palermo 2 nights one full day, have opera tickets

Ragusa 3 nights. Visit loaval area

Mandrinova olive or hard. 2 nights. Doing cooking class and one full day Agrigento

Siracusa 3 nights ..staying in Ortigia visit local sites

Fly Catania to Naples. No time Naples go direct to

Massa Lubrense farm house.5 nights Do day trip Sorrento , day trip Pompeii

Capri 2 nights plan to take ferry from Sorrento. Assume they are frequent? Will be into October so will need to wait for fall schedule?.

Atrani 5 nights. Do day trip to Vietri and Paestum. Visit various Amalfi towns

Ravello 2 nights

Last day. Private car transfer to Rome from Ravello. Fly home

I've tried for a mix of busy and not busy. We like to have time to just it in a place and have a coffee ( or wine ) and people watch...I think of it as " slow travel"

My only real concern is our same day flight from Rome but have been assured that if we leave at 6 am we'll be in Rome airport by 10:30. Flight is at 1:30.

Can't really change itin now as flights and hotels booked but appreciate any special local places ..happy to help if you ever come to BC :)