We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi coast drive --- Wish I had taken a private tour

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi coast drive --- Wish I had taken a private tour

I did not enjoy this Golden Tour taken a few weeks ago. The guide engaged in silly behavior : singing, making jokes about women drivers and trying to get men to "sing to the ladies". He seemed confused about how many people were on the bus. We did not stop in Positano at all. The bus perked in Amalfi where we walked around. There was an optional boat trip at €10. There were lots of stores with overpriced tourist merchandise. Then we were taken to a small town for a "special home cooked lunch" at €13. Although the view from the restaurant was gorgeous, the food was very ordinary. There were no other restaurants in this town. Then we went to Ravello for free time. It was Sunday but the tourist stores were open. Not much to do there but stroll around. Wish I had taken a private tour. Not at all impressive!

Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi coast drive --- Wish I had taken a private tour

Thanks for this feedback....we had been looking at this our (and also considering the ferry route on our own)....so this is helpful. However, am sorry you didn't have a better experience on your trip.

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi coast drive --- Wish I had taken a private tour

I can recommend an excellent private driver. Of course, this is much more expensive than the bus.

entebbe
Level Contributor
33 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi coast drive --- Wish I had taken a private tour

I totally agree, we had a similar experience. We stopped at the same restaurant in Scala, I think, close to Ravello. It was not on the itinerary and there was no alternative. The food was awful, we were packed in and people spent half the time there queuing for the toilet. The queues were so long that in the end they allowed us to use the bathrooms in guest bedrooms. i had wanted to go to villa Maria restaurant and quickly visit Villa Cimbrone gardens in Ravello but there was no time because we wasted more than an hour on the Unscheduled stop.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
646 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi coast drive --- Wish I had taken a private tour

Amalfi coast drive ?

Just catch public transport - bus to and ferry (weather dependent?) from, easy and cheap !

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amalfi coast drive --- Wish I had taken a private tour

Vada - some prefer to avoid the sardine can crush of the SITA bus in peak season and opt for the private driver. Although the driver is expensive, it can be worth the money especially if this is a once in a lifetime visit to the AC - not much point in taking the bus if you're standing or worse - on the wrong side and looking at the cliff face all the way. However, I see your point about the coast from the water - absolutely the best way to see it in all its glory.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amalfi coast drive --- Wish I had taken a private tour

That's true, but the OP wasn't there during peak season. We were there about the same time, took the bus, and everything was great...for a fraction of the cost of a private tour - or the one they took, for that matter..

7. Re: Amalfi coast drive --- Wish I had taken a private tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 06:19