We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If its Tuesday, it must be Belgium

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
If its Tuesday, it must be Belgium

I know this is stupid, but could anyone tell me if it is possible to fit in Vesuvius, Pompeii and a very late lunch at Iaccorino Restaurant in Sorrento all on the same day?

My wife and I will be travelling by rented Fiat Punto from the Marriott in Naples, and have only two and a half full days in Naples - having spent 22 days criss-crossing Southern Italy.

I would not ordinarily have even thought of this as an outside possiblity had a friend in Sydney not insisted we pay a visit to the restaurant [BTW: Is it any good, the restaurant, I mean?].

Thank you for any replies! BTW: We are in Naples from July 29-31st.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Punto
Punto
248 Reviews
Lucca, Italy
Naples
Naples
Italy
Italy
Europe
UK
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If its Tuesday, it must be Belgium

AFAIK no restaurant with that name in Sorrento. There is a Hotel Iaccarino at Sant' Agata but would not think their restaurant would be worth a special visit. Do you mean the Michelin starred "Don Alfonso" restaurant, also in Sant' Agata, where owner/chef's surname is Iaccarino? Links to their site and the TA reviews

http://www.donalfonso.com/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g644245-…

Edited: 14 May 2013, 19:50
Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Hotel Iaccarino
Hotel Iaccarino
589 Reviews
Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi, Italy
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If its Tuesday, it must be Belgium

Pompeii AND Vesuvius followed by late lunch (btw - what is late? a lot of Italian restaurants close between lunch and dinner).

My answer would be no - unless you wanted a quick glance at Pompeii and same at Vesuvius.

Honestly, spend more time at Pompeii and look at Vesuvius from the ground. It's just a geographical feature - a nice one - but really you can appreciate it from its base as you drive around - especially if time is of the essence.

Pompeii needs a lot of time as its a huge site - 66 hectares - and even walking diagonally across it to see the two unmissable sites - amphitheatre and villa of Mysteries - would take you over 45 minutes considering there are many road closures on the way and you have to walk a rather complicated route.

If time is really really critical and you desperately want to see Vesuvius - go to Herculaneum instead. Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend one over the other as they are both very different but it may suit your needs as Herc is only 4 hectares and closer to Vesuvius.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
473 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
League City, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If its Tuesday, it must be Belgium

Yes, that's it. Apols for the unintentional misrep.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If its Tuesday, it must be Belgium

Kathy W, thank you so much.

Is Sorrento, with the crowds, really all that special? When we have the view of the bay from the Marriott Hotel rooftop restaurant?

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
League City, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If its Tuesday, it must be Belgium

Sorry ModemUK, my reply to you is one lower. Or it seems replies are chonological - not a true post we are working with here.

Edited: 15 May 2013, 03:31
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If its Tuesday, it must be Belgium

As you've seen, replies here aren't linked to the posts they answer!

The official website for Pompeii etc offers some timed itineraries around the site - with this page showing those they reckon to take 2 hours, one starting from each of the main entrances (with links at left to those for 1/2 or whole day)...

http://www.pompeiisites.org/Sezione.jsp?titolo=Due+ore&idSezione=69

They use the Italian version of names for individual buildings etc, which also feature on their map of the site (you're usually given leaflet with has a copy of that with your entry ticket, in English if lucky!)...

pompeiisites.org/allegati/Pompei_12051505333…

... but, if driving, this one may also be helpful:

www.unicocampania.it/files/mappe/pompei.pdf

With the site opening at 08:30, you could be done and off again by perhaps 11.... but may well find you want to stay longer!

We've not taken the Vesuvius trip, but by bus from there it's some hour each way, and an hour to "do" the summit - a little quicker by car, I'd expect... and then maybe 30 minutes or so drive afterwards to reach Sorrento?

unicocampania.it/files/…mappa_provincia.pdf

(Check the opening time, but might make more sense to go to the volcano first, and save some backtracking?)

Have to say though that after our visits to Pompei (let alone if having battled the cinder paths at Vesuvius), we've not wanted - and certainly haven't been in a fit state for - a fine dining experience!

But if you want places with Michelin recognition, try...

incampania.com/assets/…20Napoli2.pdf

Otherwise, for more about the towns and villages that surround Vesuvius, with restaurant listings etc, there's an interesting leaflet - "Discovering Vesuvius" - that can be downloaded from....

http://www.costadelvesuvio.com/brocure.pdf

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Sorrento
Sorrento
7. Re: If its Tuesday, it must be Belgium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 20:33
League City, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If its Tuesday, it must be Belgium

Hi Peter,

Superb advice. Thanks a million!

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If its Tuesday, it must be Belgium

Hi getslostalot,

Sounds exactly right. Thnks for sharing your experience.

I think looking at it from afar is not such a bad idea - less exercise never did me any harm.

10. Re: If its Tuesday, it must be Belgium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 07:18