We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Rome to Capri via Sorrento

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Traveling from Rome to Capri via Sorrento

Hi...we'll be travelingfrom Rome to Capri (via train) this fall and my girlfriend would like to see Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius. I believe that to do that justice, we should stay in Sorrento for 2 nights and take a tour out of there to see those sites. Anyone have any recommendations on tours out of Sorrento that will do Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius?

After that, we are off to Capri where I suspect you just sit around, drink some wine and enjoy the view?

Regards

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Rome to Capri via Sorrento

If you particularly want to stay in Sorrento, that's your choice, but it would seem to me to be even easier to visit Vesuvio and Pompeii from Naples and then take a direct hydrofoil from Naples - Molo Beverello - to Capri (see http://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule) rather than going to Sorrento and then backtracking almost to Naples for Vesuvius.

All the more so because the fact that you want to take an organised tour makes me think you might not want to be dealing with changing from FS (Italian State Railways) to the Circumvesuviana train for Sorrento at Naples.

Most people on TA are here for information on "doing it themselves" so I don't know whether anyone will be able to recommend an organised tour, but see viator.com/tours/…d508-2958VP

Edited: 21 May 2013, 23:17
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,610 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Rome to Capri via Sorrento

If that's all you want to do when on Capri, sure, it will be wonderful but there are quite a lot of wonderful places on the island to explore - www.capri.net (same site as given for the boat schedules) - there's great hiking, ancient sites, the chairlift to Mont Solaro for incredible views, taking a boat ride around the island stopping to swim as you do -

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Rome to Capri via Sorrento

We caught the train from Sorrento to Pompeii and explored it on our own. It was very easy, the Sorrento train stopped right at the entry to Pompeii. There were tours of the site available to purchase at the gate if you wished, plus options to join a tour to Vesuvius. There are options to book tours in advance from Sorrento if you preferred. Sorrento is a lovely little town to stay in, it seemed much cleaner and more charming that Naples from my perspective.

UK
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Rome to Capri via Sorrento

This company does guided tours to Pompeii and Vesuvius from Sorrento.

www.goldentours.it/en/daily_excursions.php

Wadsworth, Ohio
Level Contributor
86 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Rome to Capri via Sorrento

In Sept/Oct 2011 my husband & I visited Sorrento (coming from Rome to Naples by train). We actually hired "Sorrento Limousine Service" to pick us up at the train station and when we made our reservation with them Tony even offered the option (for a little more $) to see Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii on our way to Sorrento. We chose not to do that, and actually opted out of seeing either while there. Visiting these sites on the way would prevent you from backtracking after you arrive in Sorrento. Our train arrived around 10:30 a.m. so we would have had time to do that, not sure when you'd be arriving. I will say that I felt like we were getting a tour during our ride from the train station to Sorrento, as Tony was very informative and even stopped & took pictures of us along the way. We did also hire the same service for the Amalfi Coast Tour, another great decision - it was fabulous. They also transferred us back to the airport when we left.

With a different tour group we did a boat tour to Capri. Personally, we weren't real crazy about it (Capri) and our favorite thing we did while there was "sitting around, drinking wine, and enjoying the view". We did enjoy boating around the area but would not go to Capri again (just our preference).

We are returning in 2014 w/another couple who has never been and intend to use SLS again and do the same as we did in 2011 (excluding Capri).

Have a great trip ~

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Rome to Capri via Sorrento

Thank you everyone for the prompt feedback...lots of very good points to consider. Appreciate it.

Edited: 24 May 2013, 01:33
7. Re: Traveling from Rome to Capri via Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:16