We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Sorrento but wanting Rome 3 day visit

Lancashire
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Sorrento but wanting Rome 3 day visit

We are a couple who will be staying in Sorrento for ten days in late September but we were hoping to visit Rome for three days whilst leaving our room on reserve in our Sorrento Hotel. I was hoping a local tour company would do a three day Rome Golden visit or something similar but it looks like we are going to have to mess with cases on two trains there and back and then grab a taxi to a central Rome hotel etc. Is there a travel company in Sorrento that either a). Runs a minibus type service several times a week to Rome and back that can be pre-paid and booked or has a mini-package from Sorrento to Rome for three nights?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Hotel Golden
Hotel Golden
2,926 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Jack the Driver Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Astarita Car Service Sorrento
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Day Trips
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,238 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Sorrento but wanting Rome 3 day visit

Bus from Sorrento to Rome www.marozzivt.it

www.rome.info

Accommodation www.venere.com

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Sorrento but wanting Rome 3 day visit

There is a local tour company in Naples who will drive you to Rome and return www.worldtours.it - but it really is simpler and cheaper to take the two trains. A one way trip to Rome with a private driver costs about 350 euros. The train will cost you - at the most - about 65 euros each.

Use venere.com for hotels - Pantheon and Piazza Navona are areas I would recommend - central to everything and very charming and pretty.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Sorrento but wanting Rome 3 day visit

First off, a big hurrah for not trying to squeeze it into a daytrip!

But, except for being considerably cheaper, it's surely not unlike visiting London from Blackpool... in that you have to change trains at the local "hub", and then walk or taxi to your accommodation once in the capital?

If OK with an early (6AM) start, there's a direct bus service to Rome's equivalent of Victoria coach station - described, although mainly with the major traffic flow (visits from Rome, to Sorrento) in mind, here....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k60…

Very cheap, at just 18 Euro one-way, and you'd be there before 10 - and, although no fan of long bus rides, I would use that one in that direction, and hope my wife could get some sleep along the way!

On the return leg, they leave at around 3PM - which would see you back in Sorrento around 7PM, perhaps late enough.... but do check their site for quite what's available on your exact dates!

Otherwise, you might stay a few hours longer, and then return by rail?

Recent reports sound as though booking the tickets for that bus online isn't too difficult now, but for details of the travel agents they use locally, start with:

http://www.marozzivt.it/web.aspx?name=home

- and click on "Le Agenzie". Then pick a region from the map (Lazio for Rome, but probably Campania!), and a Province (RM for Rome, NA for Naples, Pompei or Sorrento).

That said.... I've had no joy with the one shown ("I Saraceni Srl") for Sorrento.

Instead, if you're prepared to pop over to nearby Sant'Agnello, a nice English-speaking Italian lady in the 'Aponte Viaggi' office there confirmed just now that they sell them: look for the second set of contact details here:

http://aponteviaggi.it/it/contatti.php

If going for only three days, would you really need "cases"?

Why not either leave all but one of them in the custody of your Sorrento hotel, or - if going by train - at least drop the others off at the LLO in the main Naples station....

napolicentrale.it/en/…left-luggage

Hope it works out for you,

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Lazio
Lazio
Italy
Naples
Naples
Sant'Agnello
Sant'Agnello
Lancashire
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Sorrento but wanting Rome 3 day visit

Thanks for your help-I shall investigate your web links.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Sorrento but wanting Rome 3 day visit

OK-I'll look into the train and investigate staying in the areas of Rome that you suggest. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Lancashire
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Sorrento but wanting Rome 3 day visit

Thanks. I imagine that getting from Blackpool to London via Preston and then taxi to the tourist area being a challenge never mind trying to undertake a similar journey from Sorrento to Rome via Naples-but I get your point-I guess its just the uncertainty of it going belly up! I shall gladly check with your English speaking agent in Sant Ag.

Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Sorrento
Sorrento
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Sorrento but wanting Rome 3 day visit

Belly up in Rome... now there's a thought!

September and October seem to have become two of the busiest months for the capital's hotels - so, if convinced, it might be an idea to seek out somewhere you'd like to stay, and book it now?

To get there after arriving on the Marozzi bus, perhaps worth noting that Metro line B runs through the nearby Roma Tiburtina rail station...

http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

.... however it doesn't go to any of what I'd consider prime central locations. Whilst not quite King's Cross, Termini - for instance - wouldn't be our choice! [*]

Otherwise, the licensed taxis are fairly straightforward or, no doubt, that travel agency could arrange for a car to waiting at the Tiburtina bus depot to deliver you... more sense of security, but probably paying to cover any risk of you being delayed?

Indeed, if preferring to leave it all until you're here in Italy, with a little notice they could probably also organise a hotel - one happy to take custody of your luggage before your room's vacated, so you could dump it... and be off and out immediately!

[*] For more about some of the areas where people often stay, try....

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187791-s204/Rome:I…

Whilst we thought, back in '96, that the Vatican area would work well for our own first trip together, it didn't particularly (involving schlepping the same streets over and over) - and, after trying places near the Colosseum etc, we've spiralled in on the Campo de' fiori and Piazza Navona districts.... for the general convenience of being central, and also for the wide choice of restaurants, cafes and bars nearby in the evenings!

Just for a sense of where they are, rather than as recommendations for any specific establishment, try these....

frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-20…

frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-20…

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Lancashire
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Sorrento but wanting Rome 3 day visit

Some really useful info there Peter-many thanks. We'll discuss this over the Bank Holiday and then make our mind up where to stay. I like your idea of leaving it to the booking agency in Sant Agno if I could give them a few days notice but then again-if September and October are becoming busier times for Rome tourists, then maybe a secured booking via venere.com may be the best solution.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
9. Re: Staying in Sorrento but wanting Rome 3 day visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:16