We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano to Sorrento? Ferry or bus easier?

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Positano to Sorrento? Ferry or bus easier?

As far as I can see, there is only 1 ferry service running out of positano to sorrento?

We will be staying in Sorrento on the 26th of this month.

We plan to depart our hotel (Positano Art Hotel Pasitea) in Positano early in the morning to travel to Sorrento, where we plan on visiting Pompeii for the day.

How easy is it to get to Sorrento from Positano by bus? Where are the buses located, and where can I get an up to date timetable?

Sorry for all the questions.

Many thanks :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Positano to Sorrento? Ferry or bus easier?

As of now, there are two boats between them - one at noon and another at 17:00 (5 p.m.)

coopsantandrea.com/it/…

You are pretty high up in the village on Viale Pasitea; if you take the boat, you will have about a 20 minute walk down to the the sea - You could take the internal bus (right outside your hotel) down Pasitea which stops right at the beginning of the pedestrian only portion of the village and then you can walk from there to the dock.

If you take the bus, it is right up the road from you - about a 10 minute walk. Just ask your hotel about it - they can point it out on the map for you. The problem with that bus stop is it is the second of the of the stops in Positano going towards Sorrento and they often arrive there so full they can't take anymore people. I'd plan on the ferry for a more enjoyable, stress free time.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Positano to Sorrento? Ferry or bus easier?

Here is the SITA bus schedule between Positano and Sorrento:

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

The one-way fare is 3.80 Euros (UNICO COSTIERA 90-minute ticket)

The round-trip fare is 7.60 Euros (UNICO COSTIERA 24-hr ticket)

As MomCat notes above, during the summer season, the SITA buses heading TO Sorrento often arrive at Positano already full, and won't take on more passengers (especially at the second town stop in a westernly direction). If you can't get on the bus, you will need to wait approx. ONE HOUR for the next bus!!!

That is why taking the hydrofoil is a safer option (even though it is more expensive and operates with extremely limited schedules).

Travelling by SITA bus FROM Sorrento TO Positano should be a bit easier, since you can board this bus at its terminus in Sorrento (Circumvesuviana train station).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Positano to Sorrento? Ferry or bus easier?

Oh, I see you want to visit Pompei early in the day so I guess taking the ferry from Positano won't work for you; then, just try to get the earliest possible bus to Sorrento that you can but you may wind up having one pass you by; they originate in Amalfi and get filled up there - IF you go to the La Sponda bus stop (the first stop in Positano from Amalfi) you may have a better time getting on as the bus will likely drop off some folks there.

If you do that, an easy way to get to that stop is to take that internal bus and get off at the last stop and then head up to the La Sponda stop - just ask someone to point you in the direction. I don't know how to explain it here and the village is so small, people who work there will know. It will be about an 8 to 10 minute walk.

I assume you are checking out of the hotel in Positano, right? I'm not sure I'm clear on this -

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Positano to Sorrento? Ferry or bus easier?

thanks for the information, yes we will be checking out of the hotel in Positano and checking into another hotel in Sorrento.

Looks like the bus will be a better option for what we need :-)

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Positano to Sorrento? Ferry or bus easier?

Since you are planning to leave very early in the morning, taking any of the only two boats at noon and 5pm that momcat mentioned may not work for you. However, your plan to leave early in the morning is a good plan since you want to visit Pompeii and Sorrento and you will need more time to be able to do both.

Maybe you can get the bus very early in the morning from the stop closest to your hotel to go to Amalfi and get the SITA bus from Amalfi where it originates, to go to Sorrento. You could also plan to get to the first bus stop in Positano going towards Sorrento and have a better chance of getting on a bus going to Sorrento from that stop. At Sorrento you will then take the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii Scavi stop. This train trip takes about 30 minutes. Look into getting a bus pass that will work well for how many times you will be taking the SITA bus and the Circumvesuviana train and also entry to some of the archeological sites.

In the heat of August it is best to visit Pompeii very early in the morning or later in the evening when it is not very hot. Take some very cold water with you when seeing the ruins. Enjoy your trip.

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Positano to Sorrento? Ferry or bus easier?

what about the buses to sorrento early in the morningn(7:55, 8:45, 9:10, 9:40) do those often arrive full?

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Positano to Sorrento? Ferry or bus easier?

thank you mothergirl. :-) i have the pompeii side of things all planned out, its just all this SITA bus details that is worrying me now

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Positano to Sorrento? Ferry or bus easier?

Yes, they can arrive full in Positano - people get on in Amalfi and are either going to Positano for a visit or going to Sorrento as they leave Amalfi - the earlier you can try for the bus, the better.

You can also just ask your hotel to show you on the map where the La Sponda stop is located; since you will have luggage, I would suggest taking that little internal bus (it costs about 1,30 euros and you can buy the ticket right on the bus and the stop is literally right outside your hotel - it will save you walking about 15 minutes with your bags.

Buy your Sorreto bus ticket ticket the day before so you have it ready and don't have to think about it in the morning - stamp it in the validation box on the bus when you board.

And, have fun!

Edited: 09 August 2013, 21:05
Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Positano to Sorrento? Ferry or bus easier?

ok change of plans, we have decided to get the ferry at noon.

a lot less stress, and it means we will get to our hotel around 1pm, and then at Pompeii for about 1.30pm

3 hours exploring Pompeii, and back to the hotel in Sorrento 5pm ish.

My next question is.... arent the ferries just as busy as the buses, and wont there be a chance we wont get on the ferry due to it being full?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Positano to Sorrento? Ferry or bus easier?

No, they are not as crazy. It will be busy given the time of year you are going - just get there early and try to be at the front of the group of people. Do NOT expect lines - people in Italy just don't line up. I've never heard of anyone not getting on a ferry - I suppose it could happen, but nothing like the bus; the ferries take far more people and it costs more than the bus so - I think you should be just fine.

Hat, water and sunscreen for Pompei - there is virtually no shade there.