We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Circumvesuviana from Sorrento to Naples

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Circumvesuviana from Sorrento to Naples

I need to get to Naples to catch a train to Rome at 10.00 am. Any recommendations as to what time I need to leave Sorrento to catch the Rome train and will the Circumvesuviana be busy at that time of day. I'm a bit concerned as I will be traveling with luggage.

Many thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,983 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Circumvesuviana from Sorrento to Naples

The train takes about an hour to get from Sorrento to Naples, so I would aim to catch a train around 08.30. The train will not be crowded as it leaves Sorrento, but probably will be by the time it reaches Naples. Stay close to your luggage.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,062 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Circumvesuviana from Sorrento to Naples

Train schedule eavcampania.it/web/content/orario-ferroviario

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,061 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Circumvesuviana from Sorrento to Naples

It's a commuter train, makes many stops and if you are taking it on a weekday morning, yes, it will get crowded as you go along.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,761 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Circumvesuviana from Sorrento to Naples

I would aim for the 8:26 as it doesn't make all of the stops.

eavcampania.it/web/…20viceversa.pdf

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Circumvesuviana from Sorrento to Naples

Thanks everyone for your input.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Circumvesuviana from Sorrento to Naples

There are small overhead racks on the train so you can stash small stuff by your seat. The seats are designed for medium sized bags to slide underneath. I did notice several people with larger bags simply standing with the bags in the area between the cars where people exit the train. Not a good place to leave your bags unattended but a good place to guard your larger bags.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Circumvesuviana from Sorrento to Naples

You definitely have to be fast on your feet with luggage. The Circumvesuviana is usually busy and does not stop for long and there are multiple Naples stops. You can easily miss the stop before the last one that is closest to the train station to Rome. If you miss it and end up at the last stop it is about a 15 minute walk. The tourist brochure in Sorrento will have the most recent schedule for the Curcumvesuviana, leave extra time!

Edited: 21 January 2014, 18:00
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Circumvesuviana from Sorrento to Naples

Thanks everyone, really useful info. Looks like I'll be standing on the trip! Cheers

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,061 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Circumvesuviana from Sorrento to Naples

Why will you be standing? You will be getting on in Sorrento and there will be seats - why stand for over an hour if there are seats available? I've never had any problems when arriving in Naples at Napoli Centrale - a ton of people will also be getting off there, as many tourists do use this commuter train. Up to you, obviously, if you want to stand but I don't see why you would -

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Circumvesuviana from Sorrento to Naples

How much luggage would you have? If it's just a medium size suitcase and a backpack then you can keep them close to you, but if you are travelling with family then you simply can't fit them in between seats without being told off by an Italian granny ( saw this happening).

Then you may have to leave the bags near the entrance doors without obstructing anyone. But would you be happy to leave them there and seat somewhere else where it may take you a few precious seconds for you to reach the bags or may be difficult for you to keep an eye through the crowd?

So finding a seat won't be a problem but you may have to stand just to keep an eye on your bags. Have a look her to get an idea about the space available:

http://flic.kr/p/8SVNSx

Edited: 22 January 2014, 18:20