We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento or Positano beginning of March

chicago
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento or Positano beginning of March

Hi, my husband & I will be visiting Italy for the first time the first week of March. We plan on flying into Naples & out of Rome and would like to spend 5 days in Sorrento or Positano before we head to Rome. Which is the best area this time of year? We love the views in Positano however I am worried there will not be enough open this time of year. Also, is it worth getting a room with a balcony this time of year?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,546 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento or Positano beginning of March

Sorrento would be the better base for commuting.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,576 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento or Positano beginning of March

I'm not a fan of Sorrento and always head to Positano but for the first part of March, Sorrento is likely your best choice as there will still be most places closed in Positano. You can get a ferry over to Capri from Sorrento if you like as well as whatever other places you plan to visit while there.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento or Positano beginning of March

Personally am a big fan of Sorrento as it is a vibrant bustling town in its own right also with historic lanes and working fishing harbour. Not as chocolate box pretty as Positano but a great transport hub for the whole of the Amalfi Coast. Stunning views of Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples.

We do Positano as a day trip, also Amalfi /Ravello and Capri, Pompeii etc. Positano in our opinion is best viewed from the water.

We have been first week of March and unless you are hardy a balcony would probably not be useable (we are Brits so used to the cold and like the space & views from a balcony).

NBB.

chicago
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento or Positano beginning of March

Thanks for all the advice. We have decided to use Sorrento as our base (we will actually have a full week there -will do Positano & Amalfi as day trips). Now, for another question -advice on hotels within walking distance to town? Looking at Antiche Mura in town based on location and reviews but not sure if it would be better to stay at one of the beautiful hotels on a cliff. We definitely want to be able to walk to town and not have to deal with shuttles everytime we want to go into town. Suggestions???

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento or Positano beginning of March

We have stayed at Hotel Antiche Mura a few times & it is excellent - family / staff are lovely and it's location is great in town. We book a Junior Suite with useable balcony. No sea views.

Our other regular accommodation is Hotel Grand Royal www.manniellohotels.com which is also central but cliff edge so has the views of Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples.

Everything on your doorstep with both Hotels.

chicago
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento or Positano beginning of March

Thanks, just checked into the hotel grand royal and there is no availability at any of there hotels (not sure if they are even open then?). Does anyone know how doable the walk into town from the Grand Hotel Aminta is?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,546 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento or Positano beginning of March

You'll have to use a shuttle if you stay out there.

Please post your dates and budget for in town suggestions.

chicago
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrento or Positano beginning of March

1st week in March, trying to keep the cost around $100-125 per night. I would really like a nice a view with a balcony if possible. Some of the reviews for aminta say the walk into town is about 15 minutes? Just don't want it to be a pain getting into town daily. Thanks!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,546 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorrento or Positano beginning of March

This one is central, on the flat and should come in under budget.

www.grandhotelflora.com/

chicago
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorrento or Positano beginning of March

Thanks for the advice but after reading the reviews I think I have narrowed it down to either the Antiche Mura or Palazzo Jannuzzi in town -both have availability just trying to decide which hotel (both have wonderful reviews) Any recommendations?