We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento Beer

Manchester, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Sorrento Beer

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Sorrento in June, can anyone please recommend the best places for beer (bee it lager or ales) in and around the area? Or any particular beer to look out for?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Oliver

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento Beer

Hi, I don't drink beer myself but hubby enjoys the occasional 'Peroni' or 'Moretti' when we are in Italy. There are plenty of bars & cafes around Sorrento that will have beer - he doesn't have a particular favourite..

Sorrento
Level Contributor
634 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento Beer

In the historical centre there is La Bottega della birra, a good selection of beers from all the world.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,970 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento Beer

I imbibe my Guinness in Chaplin's.

Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
3,229 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento Beer

Hi

Salute. You've scored a direct hit on one of my favourite subjects! Draught (spina) Nastro Azzuro is my favourite beer, it's quite strong, but all of the draught beers are good in Italy. In Ischia, a lot of the draught beer is German and it's also available in Sorrento and it's good too, There are very few additives so we tend not to get hangovers, er, at least not too bad.

The wine is also superb and one of my favourites is Lacrima Christi (The Tears Of Christ) and the grapes are grown on the slopes of Vesuvius. Tuscan wine is also superb but all the wines, even the cheapest wine is usually very quaffable in Italy. Again there are very few additives which is one of the reasons why Italian wine tastes better in Italy, although the sun helps. Apparently, sulphites are added to Italian wine that is sold in English supermarkets to prolong the shelf life and it gives me a sore head the next day but not in Italy.

Try the wine and beer in Bagni St Anna down on the Marina Grande. Unfortunately, it usually closes in the evening but it's right on the sea, it's nicely priced and the food is also good.

Salute Tutti

Eddie

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento Beer

If you fancy a bit if a walk,about 15 minutes stroll, from the station towards Naples you will find Tony's bar in Sant Agnello, great atmosphere and slightly cheaper than the bars in sorrento itself. Otherwise there is Kontatto by the station which is also a good place to go for a bit of local life!

Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
3,229 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento Beer

Hi

Yes, the first time we went to Sorrento we stayed in St Agnello and went to Tony's bar regularly. He was great as were all the staff, and hey, the beer is good too. We went back to Tony's a couple of years later and he recognised us and gave us a free glass of Prosecco which was just great. He showed us into his new bar which was, kind of, derelict but he had big plans for it. Has anyone been to the new bar? We must go back to see him one day, we have such happy memories. Last time we were there was probably three or four years ago.

Eddie

perth scotland
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento Beer

Sulphites are a natural by-product of fermentation..Even the most expensive wines (read the small print on the back of a Gaja Barbaresco..) have tiny quantities of sulphites added as a preservative, otherwise they`d be brown and dead within a year..Good quality Italian wine tastes as good at home as it does in Italy, the lesser stuff is still very nice in it`s home region..

ps..10mg sulphites in average glass of wine..112mg in 2oz. of dried fruit..

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrento Beer

Sounds like he hasn't changed we were there last year and are back in June but don't know about the new bar. We have found a fabulous one bed villa with privat pool via Summer in Italy which is just the otherside of the railway bridge - it is heaven! Back there for two weeks in June

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorrento Beer

Instead of drinking Peroni or Nastro Azzuro, why don't you check out some of Italy's wonderful microbrews? Maybe 10 years ago drinking German beer or Guinness in Italy made sense, but now that there are many creative and talented small brewers making quality Italian beers, there is no reason to drink imported beers (unless you prefer them, of course, everyone is different)...

What started as a really small trend has grown into a huge movement. In Sorrento, they have their own brewery called Birrificio Sorrento. Other bigger national craft breweries that are great to try are beers from Baladin or Del Borgo. Italian brewers are incredibly creative and do what Italians do best - take local ingredients and put their own spin on them. Here in Liguria, we have a blonde ale finished with basil (it's actually pretty good!). In Tuscany, I had a wonderful smoked chestnut beer. In Sardinia, a wildflower honey beer with local honey. The lack of a "brewing tradition" here means that Italians are experimenting and growing, and in the past decade, Italy has really become the place to watch for the future of craft beer, and Sorrento hosts also the start of the movement - the birrificio St. Josef was the first one in Italy in the early 1980's, and the first beer they made was called "Chichester", a take on a classic English brown ale.

In the region of Campagnia, there are tons of small craft breweries. Though many aren't open for public tastings, many bars now carry at least a few craft beers, and many carry local ones...like La Bottega Della Birra (here: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187782-d4778743-Reviews-La_Bottega_della_Birra-Sorrento_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html)

Obviously, everyone has different tastes, but I think that if you're here, you at least should try one (or several) local beers :)

list of craft breweries operating in Campagnia:

microbirrifici.org/Campania_birrifici_region…

Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
3,229 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorrento Beer

Hi

I will certainly look out for these beers from microbrews. Are they available on draught in the popular tourist bars in Sorrento? I've never seen or even heard of them, possibly because we tourists are blown away by the sea views and atmosphere etc, ask for a beer, any beer, and it's usually great.

With regards to sulphites in wine; I suffer from headaches and blocked sinuses from some wines in some UK supermarkets which never, ever, happens to me in Italy. The quotation is from the link below.

www.morethanorganic.com/sulphur-in-the-bottle

"All wines contain sulphur dioxide in various forms, collectively known as sulphites. Even in completely unsulphured wine it is present at concentrations of up to 10 milligrams per litre. Commercially-made wines contain from ten to twenty times that amount. Sulphur dioxide can cause potentially fatal allergic reactions and has been linked with numerous other health problems, including hangover."

Eddie