We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Sorrento. Have questions about Amalfi and Capri?

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
256 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Sorrento. Have questions about Amalfi and Capri?

Hello everyone,

We are staying in Sorrento for 4 days this coming June. We would like to travel down the Amalfi coast and visit the different small cities as we have seen the beautiful pictures and scenery that have been taken. Can anyone suggest the best way to visit this area. We have seen several one day tours available, or would it be to our advantage to visit the Amalfi coastal cities by using the bus and walking the cities at our pace, rather than stuck in a van for 8 hours? Also there is the boat one way down the coast and then some other way back to Sorrento from Amalfi???

Up for suggestions! Thanks for everyone’s responses.

Lary

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,925 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Sorrento. Have questions about Amalfi and Capri?

Buses from Sorrento to Amalfi, Ravello and Salerno, sit on the right handside of the bus from Sorrento.

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5110.pdf

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5120.pdf

Ferries www.alicost.it www.coopsantandrea.com

Trains Sorrento to Pompeii, Herculaneum and Naples www.eavcampania.it

www.sorrentotourism.com www.amalficoastweb.com www.pompeiisites.org www.timeout.com/naples

Edited: 15 March 2014, 02:37
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Sorrento. Have questions about Amalfi and Capri?

Public transport links for the whole of the Amalfi Coast are excellent from Sorrento.

That's what we use - although some people prefer an air conditioned coach trip.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Sorrento. Have questions about Amalfi and Capri?

I don't mean to put you off, but there was just a thread called "Day Trips from Sorrento-Help!". If you take the time to read through that, you will get a lot of good ideas, and your main questions might all be answered. If not, please come back and ask more specific ones....

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,422 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Sorrento. Have questions about Amalfi and Capri?

Only you know your comfort level regarding doing it on your own vs. a tour. If you're comfortable on your own and are able to roll with the punches, that's probably preferable.

The one big issue with the public buses are the crowds. Even in the very off season, last March, we had to stand on the bus from Positano to Sorrento as it was packed. Taxis are available in each town along the coast and provide a good back-up plan if the bus turns out to be too crowded to stop (which can happen).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,060 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Sorrento. Have questions about Amalfi and Capri?

I too had huge bus issues in March a few years ago - I had to stand (after waiting about 1 hr, 15 minutes for the bus as it was very late) from Positano to Amalfi - getting swung around on each and every curve and then on the bus on the way back from Amalfi, while I managed to get a seat, I could barely get off at the first stop in Positano because the bus was so full and it was planning on passing by all the waiting people and I yelled at the driver to stop for me and then had to really push my way off.

That was the last trip I will ever use the bus on again - six months later, I was staying near that bus stop at the end of October and watched buses routinely pass by people waiting.

There is nothing pleasant - in or out of season - about the buses though worse in season when it is very hot and even more people waiting and pushing and shoving to get on the bus.

It's never been great but years ago, it was somewhat less of a misery but then with more and more cruise ships coming into Naples, etc - more people on buses and then the addition of more tour buses of non-cruisers.

Take boats when you can and if in budget, take a car service.

Keep in mind that about 80% of both Amalfi and Positano are pedestrian only and Ravello is 100% pedestrian only - so, whatever tour you take, they will be dropping you off to explore on foot anyway.

I'd jump on the earliest possible ferry to Amalfi, go up to Ravello, come down and explore Amalfi, another ferry over to Pedestrian and get the last ferry back to Sorrento from Positano - and, if you want to stay later, maybe spring for a car service to take you back to Sorrento, from Positano it would be around 80 euros; or give the bus a try from Positano to Sorrento - at least it is a shorter ride than going from Amalfi to Sorrento so if you have to stand, it won't be for as long.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,422 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Sorrento. Have questions about Amalfi and Capri?

Traveling by boat between Sorrento and the coast towns is a really good idea; more expensive than the bus but a lot less than a taxi, and infinitely more comfortable. I rarely head to the coast during the season so I often forget to mention this option.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,060 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Sorrento. Have questions about Amalfi and Capri?

A correction to my post above where is says "another ferry over to Pedestrian" I meant to say Positano, not Pedestrian in that sentence, though probably obvious, just wanted to correct it.

Bonita Springs...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Sorrento. Have questions about Amalfi and Capri?

We have been to the Amalfi Coast several time s and have found the best way to see especially if your time is limited , is to rent a private car and driver. If you do a tour bus, you or view will be limited depending on what side of the bus you are sitting. Also you want to get some quality pics and a driver will stop wherever you want.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Sorrento. Have questions about Amalfi and Capri?

If you going to Italy on your own. The Red Michelin guide is great for restaurants and hotels. It is in Italian but has symbols that explain most things. Most important is the hotels in it are almost always good. The restaurant are great, note the starred restaurants are exceptional. It also gives you a good idea of the prices.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Sorrento. Have questions about Amalfi and Capri?

If you going to Italy on your own. The Red Michelin guide is great for restaurants and hotels. It is in Italian but has symbols that explain most things. Most important is the hotels in it are almost always good. The restaurant are great, note the starred restaurants are exceptional. It also gives you a good idea of the prices.