We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi Coast Driving and Parking May 2014

Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Amalfi Coast Driving and Parking May 2014

I am planning a trip to Rome and the Amalfi Coast with my fiancé for the last week of May 2014. After a few days in Rome, we are renting a car to drive down to the Amalfi Coast. Looking forward to convenience & freedom to make spontaneous stops & visit several towns along the Amalfi Coast and beyond as well as the spectacular drive along the coast.

Haven’t decided which towns to stay in but would likely split the week between two towns (Sorrento, Positano, Praino, Amalfi, Ravello). I would presume that free parking is rare and most likely in the 30-50 euro per day range, is this correct? I keep reading about the extensive traffic, lack of parking and hassle of a car during the summer. My question is how bad will the traffic and parking be the last week of May?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi Coast Driving and Parking May 2014

It won't be good - the road gets packed with gigantic buses (the road was built back in the day when there were not these humongous buses) and it slows everything down when they need to maneuver a bend, back up, etc - Parking lots are available and you should find parking - but, you may just need to search a bit.

I'd stick to just one place to stay (Sorrento is not on the Amalfi Coast) if you stay exclusively on the Amalfi Coast - Keep in mind you can't drive in most parts of each village - Ravello is entirely pedestrian and Positano and Amalfi are about 80% so, with the tiny ones most only pedestrian too.

Here's a recent video by someone (just 1.5 minutes) that gives you a good idea of the road and the size of some of the buses you will encounter even though this was a cool/wettish day and not yet crowded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch…

Oh, and book your lodging every soon….

Edited: 06 May 2014, 18:13
2. Re: Amalfi Coast Driving and Parking May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 07:16