We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Rome to Sorrento

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Rome to Sorrento

My family (7 adults) will be travelling from Rome to Sorrento. I've picked a couple of options:

1. Speed train from Roma Termini to Naples then rent a private coach to Sorrento. Or,

2. Rent a private coach from Rome to Sorrento.

Cost is about 400 euros for both options.

Taking the the private coach would eliminate going to the train station and carrying our luggages. Would this be a better option? What is the drive like from Rome to Sorrento? I believe it is a 4 hour drive.

Thank you

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,610 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Rome to Sorrento

For the most part, it is a pretty boring ride in a car.

The train is so fast and then from Naples with a car service to Sorrento would be my choice - that would be 70 minutes on the fast train and about 45-60 minutes to Sorrento.

Up to you if the cost all comes out the same.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Rome to Sorrento

We have travelled on a speed train from Rome to Naples and have been picked up in a private car from the station and driven to our hotel.( Your hotel could recommend a driver.) This is more expensive than the coach from Naples but takes you directly to the hotel door. You would need a mini bus with seven adults travelling, but it might be worth it, especially as you have to get to a hotel too.

We have also travelled by coach from Rome to Sorrento. It's a long trip but not too bad in an air conditioned coach.

Fort Lauderdale...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Rome to Sorrento

My husband and I are traveling from Rome to Sorrento by bus, I think, and after 5 days around the area we want to take the train to Florence. Should we purchase any of this tickets before hand, internet or other ways?

Any help would be appreciated ,

Thank you

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Rome to Sorrento

The direct bus from Rome to Sorrento costs 18.5 Euros per ticket. That's much less than 400 Euros for a private transfer.

www.marozzivt.it

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Rome to Sorrento

QUESTION: "Should we purchase any of this tickets before hand, internet or other ways?"

ANSWER: If your aim is to save lots of money, yes! You can save more than 50% on the fast trains from Naples to Florence by booking in advance through the Trenitalia OR the Italo Treno websites.

www.trenitalia.com

www.italotreno.it

From Sorrento to Naples, the local Circumvesuviana train is unreserved, and costs a flat 4.10 Euros per ticket. No advance purchase necessary.

MAKE SURE you don't MISS your connecting train to Florence if booked at a promotional fare, or else you FORFEIT the ticket and will be required to purchase a brand new ticket at the undiscounted fare!!! Give yourself one hour of connection time to be safer.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Rome to Sorrento

we did this the other way round, we travelled from Sorrento to Rome by train

Circumvesuviana train to Naples was only a few euros.

Train to Rome was about €40 euros, we did not book in advance, we just bought it on the day, you can save money by booking in advance but we didn't want to be tied to a particular train and we thought that 40 euros was a decent price. Train was lovely, very fast and spot on time.

Unless there are mobility issues, the private transfer seems expensive

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Rome to Sorrento

We went on a special holiday with a few days in Rome, followed by a stay in Sorrento. We decided to treat ourselves and booked a private car that took us from Naples to The Capodimonte Hotel. (We had stayed at that hotel on a couple of occasions so knew how far it was from the station.) Yes, it was the more expensive mode of travel but was stress free and we were at the hotel in the quickest time.

We were tied to school summer holidays and the weather was very hot. For us, on that occasion, the car was worth every penny.

YORK
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Rome to Sorrento

Firstly sorry to add another question to this thread.

My Hubby and I are travelling to Rome from Sorrento on Tue 10th June, we have already booked our fast train tickets and will arrive in Naples just before 12 noon.

Initially we were going to catch the train from the underground in Naples but after reading reviews thought it would be easier to get the coach to our destination. Although on reading the timetable there is not a bus until 1 o clock. Could anyone please advise, as you cant prebook the tickets for the coach how long we will need to queue beforehand and I presume we will be able to get a drink in a café nearby if necessary. Sorry just one last question is the station okay to be waiting around in if you can get a drink there? I understand the underground station where you wait for the train to travel to Sorrento, you need to be very careful, is this the same here on ground level.

I also thought about booking a seat on a private coach which would pick us up at the station with other passengers and have been quoted 100 euros for 2, return- not sure if this is a good price or not, but we may have to hang around an hour anyway.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Diane

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Rome to Sorrento

Thank you for the information. Would you know the bus company or website to check the schedule, fare and departure and arrival times.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Rome to Sorrento

www.marozzivt.it