We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Holiday in Sorrento

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Family Holiday in Sorrento

Hi, we are thinking of going to Sorrento this Sept, we would be travelling with my 2yr old and my father. Basically I need all advise please as I know nothing about Sorrento except that it is meant to be a beautiful part of Italy.

Where do you fly into is Naples the nearest airport if so how far is it to Sorrento and is it easy to get to by bus / taxi? Also where to stay ?? We would be looking for the best of both worlds beach / city break so what area is good to stay in and if you can recommend any apartments.

I'd appreciate all he advise given as I haven't a clue how to go about booking this.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Holiday in Sorrento

Hi

Yes, Naples airport is the nearest to Sorrento and you can get a bus for 10E each or a private transfer. Click on the link.

www.curreriviaggi.it/inglese/E_index.html

We always do a package tour with Thomson. It often works out cheaper when flying from the north of England especially if you are lucky enough to get a late-deal bargain. The best advice would be to try and get a fairly central hotel with a sea view. There are no real beaches in Sorrento, they have bathing platforms built on the sea, but there is a strip of coarse sand on the Marina Grande. The nearest proper beach is in Meta or Vico Equense and you can get to these by bus or train.

Sorrento is a great base for exploring the whole of the Neapolitan Riviera and there are good beaches in most of the towns on the Amalfi Coast especially the island of Ischia. Another good link below.

sorrentodreaming.com/what-to-see/…

http://www.sorrentodreaming.com/

Have a great holiday

Eddie

Edited: 22 May 2014, 23:50
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Holiday in Sorrento

Thanks Eddie, for the info

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,612 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Holiday in Sorrento

To find a hotel in Sorrento you can go to a good booking engine line booking dot com. Punch in your dates and all the available hotels will come up with prices It also has a map function so you can see where in town your hotel is located. we chose Hotel Residence Miramare. It was a studio apartment with a massive deck with views of Sorrento and Vesuvius across the bay. It was however a 15 minute walk up a hill which may not be a good idea with a 2 year old.

Here are images of Sorrento and some of the day trips possible from there.

Sorrento

flickr.com/photos/…

Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Holiday in Sorrento

we got back few weeks ago from our holiday in Sorrento we took a driver who pick up us at the airport and we book a nice apartment with everything we needed!! even a welcome treat!!people from Sorrento are amz!!

the driver web site is

www.Sorrentotransfer.com

and the house is

www.Sorrentohome.com

I really recommend it!!

Edited: 25 September 2014, 21:45
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Holiday in Sorrento

Not long back from Sorrento and I travelled with Sunway Travel (Irish company). We stayed in Capri Hotel on B&B basis and all airport transfers were included in our Sunway price. Hotel was perfect as it was a straight (no hills) 5 minute walk into the main piazza, couldnt recommend it highly enough!

6. Re: Family Holiday in Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2015, 05:15