We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Minerva - walk from here to town centre

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Worksop, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Minerva - walk from here to town centre

Hope someone can help confirm a details for me please. The Minerva hotel is currently at top of my list for a week's stay in mid-October this year. We have looked at the location on google earth and can see it's a straightforward walk into the town centre. However, please could anyone who has stayed here confirm if it is steep walk down/up along the road into town.

Thanks everyone

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Minerva - walk from here to town centre

Hi, we recently returned from staying at Hotel Settimo Cielo which is directly opposite The Minerva, don't worry ,the walk to town is easy, a little steep but not a problem at all, enjoy your holiday, we loved Sorrento.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Minerva - walk from here to town centre

We recently stayed at The Bristol Hotel that is right next door to The Minerva Hotel. It took us about ten minutes to walk to the town. Add about five minutes to this. The hotels are up the hill but easily walkable. They are, however, as far as I would choose to go. From the very start of the town to The Capodimonte it is a very gentle incline, then it starts to go steeper until you reach The Minerva, from where it goes steeper and steeper. It's a gentle pull up, rather than a climb! The views over Sorrento, Marina Grande and Vesuvius are spectacular.

The Bristol Hotel has taken over a floor of The Minerva.The rooms are high up on the front of the hotel, overlooking Marina Grande.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Minerva - walk from here to town centre

Hi

We stayed at The Belair nearby, and I agree that the walk into town is just ten minutes or less and is a pleasure. The only problem we had was when we had Champagne cocktails at the Fauno Bar and we were so "refreshed" we splashed out and got a taxi back! I hadn't realised that The Bristol had taken over one floor of The Minerva. Have they re-painted the red balcony railings etc?

While I'm here, I may as well ask if anyone is having problems with the new Thomson website. It started off slow, stuttered for a few weeks then fizzled out altogether. Citalia is still ok, Thomas Cook is ok, slow but it works and Thomson Lakes and Mountains is still ok. I'm using Windows 7 on a PC and I just get circles all over the page while the holidays in Sorrento load forever. I think they've altered the design so it works on iphones, or something.

Any ideas?

Eddie

Edited: 01 June 2014, 13:15
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Minerva - walk from here to town centre

The Bristol has taken a corridor of The Minerva.These rooms are directly over the floor with the canopy. They have been totally renovated.These rooms are the only rooms, apart from the suites at The Bristol to have a bath and shower. We were told they are sister hotels but I am not sure about that. They have the same balcony red colour but the rattan chairs and table like The Bristol.

Worksop, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Minerva - walk from here to town centre

Thanks everyone, sounds like the walk back ins't too steep. Eddieandlynne- I've had problems with the Thomson w/site too. It loads the page but if I try to scroll down past a few results it comes up with a message saying I've tried to filter too quickly and to either clear the selection or refresh the page. They've probably altered their website.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,745 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Minerva - walk from here to town centre

Too far up the hill for me.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Naperville
Level Contributor
907 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Minerva - walk from here to town centre

Since some of you seem to know locations in Sorrento, I'm going to piggyback on to this thread and ask about the walk from Hotel Grand De La Ville. Is that also up a hill to or from town? Google street maps seems to show a fairly flat area around the hotel. I sure hope so.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Minerva - walk from here to town centre

This is about five minutes walk on the flat.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Minerva - walk from here to town centre

The main street in Sorrento is long and flat. The Da Ville and its sister hotels - The Ambasciatori and The Royal- are on the flat. The Capodimonte, another hotel in the group, is on the other side of town where it is hilly.

Hope this helps.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Naperville
Level Contributor
907 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Minerva - walk from here to town centre

Thanks so much for that info, it helps a lot.