We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento sept 8 leaving sept 13 tour guides recommendations?

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento sept 8 leaving sept 13 tour guides recommendations?

Are travel to italy starts in capri aug 27th. Where we've got a planned itinerary . Then onto the island of Panarea to visit family until 8/31 to sept 8. Where we will spend mist time relaxing and boating. Then onto to our final leg of the trioP to stay at the sorrento hilton palace from 9/8 leaving sept 13

While in sorrento we'd like to see local sites and enjoy nice local meals. I thought we'd use one of the local tram or tour services to see the city first. My husband and I are active but his walking is limited so we'd like to hire a tour guide to see Pompeii, herculeam, positano and other interesting fishing villages or towns along the amalfi coast. Not in one day of course.

He may need to do resting time but not me. So I'd be interested in finding out the best way to see places of interest on my own. If it's safe to be a woman touring alone. I can walk extensively to places and enjoy museums etc and want to experience as much as possible.

Any suggestions?

Edited: 05 July 2014, 22:47
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento sept 8 leaving sept 13 tour guides recommendations?

You would probably feel and be safer on organised tours. Read reviews of Golden Tours based in Sorrento, also Leonardo Travel/ Sorrento Cars. Ask your hotel for recommendations.

If you chose The Amalfi Drive tour you would be taken to some beautiful place such as Ravello and Amalfi. You could have an optional lunch, and free time is built into the trips. Good coaches and guides too. Well worth the money as the roads are narrow and along cliff top edges.You could book a driver to take you to these lovely places plus Positano.

Pompeii is vast and whilst it is cheap to travel by train, I personally would not like to travel alone as trains are very busy and you may have to stand part or all of the way. Locals and tourists travel on the trains. We have had no problems travelling as a pair,but met people who were robbed! Book a trip with a guide or a driver. You could then travel on to Herculaneum.

You will be perfectly safe walking around Sorrento in the daytime and evening. The main street is long and flat and has lots of shops and restaurants.( Your husband could sit in The Fauno Bar whilst you enjoyed a walk.) The cobblestone alleyways are unique to Sorrento. There is a lovely cathedral on the main road.

The little white tourist train is opposite the Fauno Bar in the main square. There are horses and carriages too. Also taxis , but these are expensive.

You could both take a local bus to Marina Grande. It's a very short bus ride to a working fishing village. You could have a meal in a restaurant on the sea edge. Delfino's is good.

2. Re: Sorrento sept 8 leaving sept 13 tour guides recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 05:16