We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento Italy

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento Italy

We're going to Sorrento for ten days in September. What are the "must do" things to see/visit? Any tips re restaurants, we love food! Thanks.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,106 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento Italy

You might enjoy this restaurant.

www.lalanternasorrento.it/en/

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento Italy

Sorrento itself is a lovely town to explore, especially the cobblestone alleyways and Marina Grande, a small fisherman's village.

You can catch a boat to Capri, Ischia, Positano and Amalfi. You can catch a train to Herculaneum and Pompeii.All amazing place to visit.

Tavern Allegra, Meating and Delfino are great restaurants. Check the reviews.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento Italy

Diolch yn fawr iawn.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,815 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento Italy

We spent a week in Sorrento and loved it. Our trip was pretty much what se26 described enjoying Sorrento and using it as a base for side trips If you have an interest in Greek temples you can take a day bus excursion to Paestum. Imagine three Greek temples that rival the Parthenon sitting in an Italian field.

Perhaps these images will give you an idea of what it is like.

Sorrento

flickr.com/photos/…

Maine
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento Italy

We just returned from a week in Sorrento area. Actually our hotel was in St.Agnello, a 20 minute walk to Sorrento center. We walked or took a bus into town every day, ate at some charming restaurants, and thoroughly enjoyed our trip.

We took a boat to Capri one day, and hiked up to Villa Jovis for some fab views, visited Pompeii, and went into Napoli for a short afternoon visit. We went to Castel Nuovo and the Galleria. We opted out of Amalfi coast, and Phlagrean Fields, as it was very hot, and we had a private beach at our hotel....so we sunned and swam. Old Town Sorrento is small, so it's easily walked. Charming churches, architecture, and stunning views.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento Italy

search tips thanks to the book reviews of tripadvisor: tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g187782-Sorrento_P…

Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento Italy

Hi

Yes, you're going to the right place if you like food. The local produce is superb, arguably the best food in Italy, and Italy has the best food in the world...probably.

Another decent café on the Marina Grande is, Bagni St Anna, and it's also one of the cheapest but everyone has their favourites and they are all good. My favourite "must see" towns are Amalfi, Positano, Capri and Ischia, the Aragonese Castle is particularly good and the nearby restaurant Al Pontile has excellent food, sea views and is reasonably priced.

The Foreigner's Club has good views, some of the restaurants have Michelin stars, and the cafes around Sedil Dominova in the old town have a good atmosphere and are great for people watching. Sorrento just grabs you and makes you want to return time after time.

Eddie

Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrento Italy

A couple of extra websites

italyguides.it/us/…ischia_italy.htm

www.bestofsorrento.com/p/main-sights.html

Eddie

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorrento Italy

Great thank you so much. We can't wait.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorrento Italy

I've been to Sorrento twice and stayed at the Bellevue Syrene and Maison La Minervetta, both absolutely wonderful hotels. If you have not booked your accommodations yet, you may want to check them out.

A boat tour to Capri in my opinion is a MUST. I did the trip by ferry on my first visit and then did a boat tour (there were about 10 of us) where we toured the coast line, the island of Capri, visited the blue grotto, snorkeled, enjoyed champagne, and had several hours on our own to explore Capri. It was a wonderful experience.

Bagni Delfino is a great restaurant in Sorrento and Da Paolino in Capri.

Just a suggestion.....you might want to consider a week in Sorrento and then three nights in Positano. Christine with Discover Positano who does a great small walking tour of Positano that we really enjoyed. Also, Villa Rufulo is a great place to visit in Ravello.

If you end up staying in Positano, hit me back and I can give you the name of the boat tour we did and several great restaurants.

Enjoy!!