We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Step-by-step directions for Naples airport to Sorrento

California
1 post
1 review
2 helpful votes
Step-by-step directions for Naples airport to Sorrento

Can someone please give me step-by-step directions for how to get from the Naples Airport to the train station? I would take the bus, but our flight times dont' work well with the schedules, and we'd wind up waiting about 2 hours just for the bus. My guess is that we need to take a taxi to Napoli Centrale, right? Then from there, I'm just not sure. Also, would it be advisable to discuss the fare before getting in the taxi? We leave on Friday, and I'm starting to get nervous! I'm a first timer!

Thanks

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,626 posts
285 reviews
264 helpful votes
1. Re: Step-by-step directions for Naples airport to Sorrento

Don't be nervous - it's easy. Opposite the exit of the arrivals terminal you will see the bus depot. Take the regular airport shuttle bus to Naples Stazione Centrale (there is a bus every 30 minutes, the fare is only a couple Euro and the journey takes about 20 minutes depending on the traffic). The bus will drop you off at Piazza Garibaldi on the opposite side to the train station. The most difficult bit is attempting to cross the busy road to get to the station (you will need to be brave and just negociate the busses, vespas and cars). Once you enter the station, turn right and follow the signs for the "Circumvesuviana" trains. It is about a 10 minute walk from the main entrance to the ticket booth of the Circumvesuviana line. The fare to Sorrento is 4€ per person and the journey will take about 1 hour as the train stops at every town along the way and Sorrento is the last stop.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: Step-by-step directions for Naples airport to Sorrento

Dear italybound314,

By the ways, the bus you could take from Napoli Capodichino Airport to Napoli Piazza Garibaldi is called Alibus and it costs €3. You can pay the driver when you board and he'll give you an Alibus ticket which you need to stamp in the timeclock machine near the driver:

http://www.unicocampania.it/ita/alibus.htm

As mentioned, you'll need to walk to Napoli Centrale FS Train Station and it's insane. There's a sidewalk and a walkway closer to where they're doing construction for the new metrostation and you'll see people walking toward the station.

When you arrive, you can buy your ticket at the newsstand in the Circumvesuviana area. You can look at the LED lit up board for trains going to Sorrento and find out which platform you need to go (I think it's platform 3). In any case, stamp your ticket in the turnstile and go downstairs to locate your platform and then go down another set of stairs. You can plug in the dates and timetable of travel to figure out which trains might be available for you.

http://www.vesuviana.it/Nebula/portal/alias__circu/lang__it-IT/tabID__3337/DesktopDefault.aspx

When you arrive in Sorrento, you'll be around 3 blocks from Piazza Tasso. You can walk I believe left (ocean facing you).

If you'd like to take a taxi from Napoli Capodichino Airport to Napoli Centrale FS Train Station, it's definitely a good idea to negotiate a taxi. I think gotlegal once mentioned that it's a fixed rate of €16 from Napoli Capodichino Airport to Molo Beverello so Napoli Centrale FS Train Station should be less than that. If the driver doesn't want to negotiate a price, then you can argue/bargain or ask another driver.

Buona Fortuna...

glasgow
Level Contributor
17 posts
3. Re: Step-by-step directions for Naples airport to Sorrento

A lot of taxis have a set fare 'menu' hung on driver and passenger seat headrest. A taxi from airport to trainstation is priced on this at 12 euros approx. but better to confirm fare with driver before setting off. We didnt and at end of journey were told we had to pay extra for night time and for te empty taxis return journey (believe this is quite common) On return journey travelling from port to airport, we confirmed price with taxi driver who showed us his price book and 'menu' of prices on headrests-16 euros. First taxi didnt have prices displayed!!

Take care and keep your wits about you, train station area has a dodgy reputation. The porter at our hotel didnt think it very safe for tourists to walk around this area

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
29,596 posts
30 reviews
57 helpful votes
4. Re: Step-by-step directions for Naples airport to Sorrento

"tariffe predterminate" from airport to train station is 12.50EUR. Whether you can get the driver to honour it is another story http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/files/D.64094b34986a1b6841a0/tariffe_predeterminate.pdf Printing this tariff sheet may help.

2 buses go from the airport to the station. Both cost the same. One requires a pre-purchased Unico Campania ticket from the ticket counter inside the terminal. The other( ANM) you can purchase the ticket from the driver. Both buses leave from the same area, right next to each other.

You have to go down stairs at the train station to reach the ticket window for the Sorrento train, and more stairs down to the actual platform. The escalators usually work.

Personally I'd just wait 2 hours at the airport, with pretty much guaranteed seating on the bus and luggage in the luggage hold, instead of taking the commuter train with luaggage, possibly fighting commuter traffic.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
21 helpful votes
5. Re: Step-by-step directions for Naples airport to Sorrento

The Napoli Piazza Garibaldi Circumvesuviana Train Station has been moved and it's no longer downstairs from the middle of Napoli Centrale FS Train Station where the escalators are. The Circumvesuviana station is temporarily now to the right down a corridor and people can follow the signs that read "circumvesuviana." People still need to go down two flights of stairs to reach the actual platforms. Also, the escalator in the middle of Napoli Centrale FS Train Station works but it goes from down to up and people wanting to go downstairs need to use the two sets stairs on either side of the escalators. People would still need to go down the stairs near the escalator to catch the Metro (platform #1 or #4) or the trains (#2 or #3) leaving from Piazza Garibaldi.

The other Capodichino Airport->Napoli Piazza Garibaldi bus is 3S and one can use a UnicoNapoli ticket which costs €1. However, the Alibus stops at two stops, Napoli Piazza Garibaldi and Piazza Municipio while the 3S stops at any requested stop or stop with waiting people:

http://www.anm.it/upload/Linee/%20%203S.PDF

As mentioned it might be more comfortable to wait for the next Curreri Bus from Capodichino Airport to Sorrento Piazza Tasso.

Buona Fortuna...

Gradyville...
Level Contributor
289 posts
179 reviews
110 helpful votes
6. Re: Step-by-step directions for Naples airport to Sorrento

What time does your flight arrive Naples? Keep in mind that flights are not always on time, and that you will need to collect your luggage, first.

Perhaps, by the time all is said and done, you would only have an another hour to wait for the Curreri bus.

I've mentioned this several times recently to other posts. This is a far better means to Sorrento (If that is where you are destined) than via Naples.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Step-by-step directions for Naples airport to Sorrento

Thanks so much for this thread!

We are about to make this trip, and now know to use the Curreri bus instead of the train to get to Sorrento!

UK
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Step-by-step directions for Naples airport to Sorrento

Hi

Plus if the weather is good you will be able to sit outside at the cafe in front of the Terminal and wind down before you carry on with your journey.

Good luck

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Step-by-step directions for Naples airport to Sorrento

Italybound,

If you really want hassle free travel, do what I did, and arrange for a driver to collect you straight from Naples airport and drive you straigtht to your hotel door. Hassle free, no worries about waiting around for buses/trains and carrying heavy bags. Our hotel arranged for a driver to pick us up, a set fee, it was money well spent

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Step-by-step directions for Naples airport to Sorrento

Good Idea, Desert, I'll call our hotel and see what the fee would be for such a service.

For comparison purposes, does anyone know what the Curreri bus will cost from Naples Airport to Sorrento?

Thanks

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.