We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento to Ravello

Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento to Ravello

My husband and I will be staying in Sorrento for one week and hope not to have the need to rent a car. We are looking to use public transportation for everywhere we wish to go. If it is possible to use public transportation, can anyone please advise how we can get to Ravello from Sorrento. Grazie!

canada
Level Contributor
7,587 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento to Ravello

From Sorrento you have a choice of bus or boat to Amalfi, then change to bus to Ravello. However if you are going to attend the music festival in Ravello, you might have a problem returning to Sorrento the same night.

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento to Ravello

Sorrento hs the best transport connections so you can use the boat or hydrooil to visit Capri,Positano and Amalfi and you can use SITA buses to visit Sorrento,Positano,Amalfi & Ravello and you can use the Circumvesuviana railway to visit Pompeii & Herculaneum

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento to Ravello

Dear alohamom,

If you're travelling from mid-April to mid-October, as mentioned you can take as mentioned a ferry from Sorrento Marina Piccola to Amalfi:

http://www.metrodelmare.com/l-mm2_b.html

http://www.metrodelmare.com/l-mm3_b.html

Then you can buy an E1 €1 bus ticket at a tobacconist (can buy this in Sorrento too) and then wait for the hourly bus from Amalfi to Ravello. In July-August the crowds waiting for the bus are rather aggressive and the tourists are left standing waiting for the next bus. Once you're on the bus, you can stamp your ticket in the yellow/orange chest-high timeclock machine (there may be two, one near the driver and one in the back, however, I believe the Scale-Ravello-Pontone-Amalfi bus is so tiny and has one machine. I wish the proper agency would run more buses or increase the seat capacity on the buses for this route).

sitabus.it/sitabus/…Quadro-XV-2.pdf

Some people have just picked up and enjoyed the walk/hike to Ravello.

The same aformentioned link (will expire in Jun to make way for the new schedule) and includes the SITA bus schedule for SITA stop near the Sorrento Circumvesuviana Station to Amalfi. You can buy a ticket from a tobacconist for Ravello and then you can just stamp your ticket on the first SITA bus and use the same ticket for the bus from Amalfi to Ravello (the first ticket will be good for over an hour to cover both legs of the trip).

Buona Fortuna...

Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento to Ravello

Thanks so much for the info -- We are coming in mid-May for our first trip to that area and are hoping to go to Mama's for cooking school, but weren't sure if we could get there without a car. Looks like we'll be able to make it! Thanks again.

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento to Ravello

Very easy and scenic journey by either boat or bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and then by bus from Amalfi to Ravello but you need to allow more than 2 hours maybe more allowing for connections .Just remember to check the departure times of the buses and boats from Amalfi to Sorrento for your return journey.

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento to Ravello

You might wish to consider the Taste of the Coast Tour offered by DriveAmalfi (info@driveamalfi.com) from Sorrento,Positano and Amalfi which includes a visit to a local winery,a pizza making lesson (you eat what you make !!!) and a visit to a Lemoncello factory.

Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento to Ravello

Dear Gerardo, Thanks for the info. I tried the website that you gave me, however, I can't get same to work. Could you check again? Grazie!

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrento to Ravello

Alohamom, info@driveamalfi.com is the email address of DriveAmalfi

Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorrento to Ravello

Thanks! That sounds like something we would like to do. Any other suggestions? We have never been to this area of Italy before and by the sounds of it, one week may not be enough!!! Looking forward to great food, great people and great scenery!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorrento to Ravello

Don't rent a car - the drivers in this area are crazy! Really! On our first visit several years ago we were told that zebra crossings are for decoration only and scooters really do whizz around you while you are using them!

You can get the train from the town centre to Pompeii, Herculaneum etc. Hydrofoil or ferry from the Marina to Capri, Ischia etc. Local bus (the best way to do the Amalfi drive!) to Positano and Amalfi - if you do go to Positano make sure you catch the return bus in the town centre, not where you are dropped off at the top of the hill as if the bus is full you will be left standing! Ravello is simple to get to once you have reached Amalfi. There are also mini cruises that go along the Amalfi coast stopping at Positano and Amalfi and these give a different perspective of the coastline.

You will defn. experience the great food, great people and great scenery - Sorrento is absolutely our favourite place.