We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Find out if Blue Grotto is open before going to Capri?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Find out if Blue Grotto is open before going to Capri?

Does anyone know of a way to determine whether we'll be able to get in to the Blue Grotto on a given day BEFORE we leave the mainland for Capri? My wife really wants to see it, but I don't want to spend a lot of time en route just to find out we can't get in.

Is there a phone number to call or a website we can check the morning of?

Sweden
Level Contributor
495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Find out if Blue Grotto is open before going to Capri?

Check the weather forecast. Windy weather means you can't get into the grotto.

Capri, Italy
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Find out if Blue Grotto is open before going to Capri?

Well, more or less Casati is right, check the weather forecast, if wind blows from W to E then no blue grotto but also this is not a rule to be followed 100%, it may be just little windy and possible to get in as there could be no wind but still rough sea and not able to get in...

I guess and hope you are not coming just for that, I mean, Capri has lot more to offer than just the blue grotto, come visit the village, go take a relaxing seat at the monte solaro chair lift, have a coffee by one of the many bars facing the piazzetta... I'm sure your wife will enjoy the shopping, at least, as much as the blue grotto.

when are you supposed to come?

have a nice journey

g

London, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Find out if Blue Grotto is open before going to Capri?

Thank you for your replies.

The Blue Grotto is definitely not the only reason for our visit. We're going to be in Sorrento for a week and can go to Capri any day, so I just want to pick one when the Blue Grotto will be open.

Capri, Italy
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Find out if Blue Grotto is open before going to Capri?

when are you supposed to come?

I may give you my number as to call me to know about it

g

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Find out if Blue Grotto is open before going to Capri?

Also try to avoid the Weekend and as long as there is reasonably good weather and calm seas the Blue Grotto will be open

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
342 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Find out if Blue Grotto is open before going to Capri?

When we tried to go to the Blue Grotto a few years ago it was open at first and we were able to board the boat that takes you to the grotto, but when we got there they decided the waves were too much and they closed it, so we had to turn around. So even if you call ahead, it still might not work out.

7. Re: Find out if Blue Grotto is open before going to Capri?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 07:18