We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seasickness

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, OH USA
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Seasickness

I'm planning to ferry from Sorrento to Capri. I'm not worried about becomming seasick, but I don't think I can be on a boat with so many passengers seasick. What is better--ferry or hydrofoil where not as many people get sick? Thank you!

Ireland
Level Contributor
922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seasickness

My experience may not be typical but we went to Capri by hydrofoil and came back by ferry to get the experience of both and saw no one sick (in Sept). We preferred the ferry, you could go out on deck and see more and it was more leisurely.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seasickness

I've never seen anyone seasick on that journey either. I'm not great on boats but I didn't take travel tablets and I was OK, but obviously it depends on how rough the sea is. But it's not a very long crossing. I can't remember whether you're allowed outside on any of the hydrofoils that do that route - I've definitely been outside on a hydrofoil from Ischia to Capri, but I've also been on one from Ischia to Naples where you couldn't go outside - I think it depends on the company. So to be on the safe side maybe the ferry would be better - the way the hydrofoils move (especially when they turn) can feel quite weird if you're inside.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seasickness

I have done this crossing several times on the hydrofoil and never saw anyone sea skick. Actually people were acting as if on a train, walking around, eating etc.....

I also find the ferries to slow ... the hydrofoil is more efficient... and as for being outside, you are going to an island.. hence you will be surrounded with water views all the time :)

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seasickness

I get sea sick all the time.......but I do ok on ferries :)

5. Re: Seasickness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2006, 18:24