We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directions from da Luigi back to Capri town?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Directions from da Luigi back to Capri town?

Hello! On one of our day trips to Capri we plan to take a 2-hour boat tour around the island and then be dropped off at da Luigi for a short time at the beach (fair-skinned tourists) and some lunch.

May I please ask, are these beach restaurants open by 11 AM?

What is the easiest way to get to Capri town from da Luigi? Is the hike up very hard? Can we go back by sea (to Marina Grande, and then take the funicular up to Capri town?

Everybody writes that we should walk from Capri town down to the Faraglioni, but we are coming there by sea. Can anyone suggest an itinerary for the rest of the day, after lunch?

We are staying in Sorrento and plan 2 day-trips to see the island of Capri. We are not able to stay overnight in Capri.

Thanks very much!!

Mentioned in this post
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
757 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Directions from da Luigi back to Capri town?

The restaurant at Da Luigi at the Faraglioni will open around 12.30 like most restaurants. Before that time there should be snack items available from the bar. Easiest way from the Luigi beach club to town would be the little ferry that picks up his customers and takes them to a landing at Marina Piccola (service starts at 15.30 and goes every hour after that - costs €5 a person). From Marina Piccola there are taxis and buses to go up into town. The alternate is to walk. It will be about 30 minutes of a hot, steep climb up the steps to get to Punta Tragara. From there it's another 15 minute mostly level walk to the town center. You can walk around the center for shopping, have a drink at one of the outside bars in the piazza, visit the gardens of Augustus, but above all, you'll need to get down to the Marina Grande port in time to catch the last boat back to Sorrento which leaves at 18.30. The earlier ones leave at 17,20, 17.45, and 18.15 (summer schedule).

Mentioned in this post
Marina Piccola
Marina Piccola
Island of Capri, Italy
Punta Tragara
Punta Tragara
376 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
757 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Directions from da Luigi back to Capri town?

Thank you so much for impt restaurant info. Originally we were getting on a Whales boat tour first thing off the ferry, maybe around 8:30 AM and to be dropped off at Da Luigi's. May I ask if the following itinerary makes sense?

Gettiing off the ferry from Sorrento, take funicular up to Capri town, have a cold drink, walk around, then take the scenic walk down to Arco Natural, and then over to Cave of Matermania, then to the Punta Tragara and will this end at Luigi's where we can have lunch and a swim and then have a boat tour company pick us up at Luigi's to start a boat tour of the island, ending with blue grotto and then Marina Grande by late afternoon, not the last ferry, but next to the last ferry back to Sorrento?

I am still not sure how many hikes/paths there are "not to miss" but we will be able to come back to Capri the very next day to see Ana Capri and do the chairlift. We unfortunately cannot stay overnight in Capri, but I did reserve 2 full days to visit for the day.

How does the above itinerary sound? Will any boat tour companies start at Da Luigi's location? Will the Blue Grotto be too crowded in the late afternoon? We can stlil come back next day. Thank yousoooo much !!

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Punta Tragara
Punta Tragara
376 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
757 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Directions from da Luigi back to Capri town?

Yes, your itinerary is doable. Regarding a pick-up from Da Luigi, this you should work out with Gennarino or Cindy at Whales. You're going to be spending a bit of cash to do a short swim and then lunch. Daily entry at the beach club is €21 each which gets you a sun lounger and beach towel. Lunch there isn't the cheapest either. Your choice. Regarding the Grotto, again your boat people can advise you best. For the next day you can take the Anacapri chairlift up to Monte Solaro and then walk down if you wish.

Mentioned in this post
Anacapri
Anacapri
Island of Capri, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Directions from da Luigi back to Capri town?

Many thanks settecente for valuable info. Someone keeps telling me to go to Luigi's but never told me it costs to get into the beach club! She was there a year ago in May. Is it free to get into Luigi's in May? What a shock!!

Can you recommend a more reasonably-priced beach/lunch place we can walk to after a beautiful walk from Capri where I can ask the tour boat people to meet us for an afternoon boat tour? We would stay at the most, 2 hours at beach/lunch. Thank you again!

BTW, we are both 51 and so are not up to difficult uphills paths. That is why I want to return to Grande Marina by boat, instead of hiking back up to Capri town. thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
757 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Directions from da Luigi back to Capri town?

The beach clubs on the island are not "reasonably priced" so I would advise you to go to one of the free beaches or swimming areas: Capri Marina Piccola, Capri Marina Grande, Anacapri Faro, or Anacapri Gradola. All have bus service.

In May perhaps Da Luigi wasn't open yet, and thus the "beach" was free.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Directions from da Luigi back to Capri town?

We went to Lido del Faro beach club in May and it wasn't free then either. The beach clubs are a great experience and well worth paying for to do at least once. We ate lunch there and then spent the afternoon. They took credit cards.

We got a discount becaseu we went on a cloudy day. It was I think about 20 euros at full price.

Edited: 12 July 2010, 14:41
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Directions from da Luigi back to Capri town?

"BTW, we are both 51 and so are not up to difficult uphills paths. That is why I want to return to Grande Marina by boat, instead of hiking back up to Capri town. thanks!"

There are buses and the funicular. There is no need to walk up to Capri town fron the port. They run frequently.

Unless you are really set on swimming at a beach resort, eat lunch up in Capri town and then go down to the port to go on the boat tour of the island. Some of the more expenisve boat tours offer swimming off the boat during part of the tour. I have read about this, but not done it myself becaseu I don't like swimming.

Edited: 12 July 2010, 14:49
Mentioned in this post
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
757 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Directions from da Luigi back to Capri town?

Hi Lupaling, and thanks for the great info. Regarding eating lunch in Capri town... we plan to arrive at Marina Grande around 8:30 in the morning...take the funicular up to Capri Town, which will be long before lunch time.

We want to walk/hike the beautiful paths leading down from Capri and then find a place for lunch, and then start our boat tour with swimming around the island.

So I am looking for 2 things now: A walking itinerary of about 2 hours which will end us at a place to eat that does not require beach club entrance fee and a port to meet Whales tour boat to start our 2-hour tour of the island with swimming, probably around 2:30 PM? (Wendy already wrote to me that their tour includes swimming).

There are quite a few paths to choose from, but I don't know how many hours any of them are. I would like to see Arco Naturale and we're big on picture-taking, and I would love to see Il Faraglioni up close, thus the idea to lunch at Luigi's. From there, can one walk to Marina Piccolo? and how long would that take?

We plan to return to Capri the very next day to see Anacapri and take the chairlift, hike down.

Thanks for all of your patience!

Mentioned in this post
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
757 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Anacapri
Anacapri
Island of Capri, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Directions from da Luigi back to Capri town?

Here is a google map that I made for my trip in 2008 and have updated since. The placements are only approximate adn you can get a getter map when you get to capri.

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

The upper level of the funicular leaves you by the airplane marker outside the Piazzetta

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

to see the faraglione from far way walk to the blue i in the map to get to the Belvedere Cannone.

walk back to near the Piazzetta and follow the signs to the natrual arch down Via Matermania

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

The natural arch and the walk there is really impressive but the Matermania Cave was something like 300 steps down by the sea and was unimpressive and in May there were tons of mosquitoes

the climb back is arduous

After the natural arch., you could walk to via Tiberio and take the path to Villa Jovis (violet camera marker on map)

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

the path is very scenic even if you are not into ruins

You could check out villa jovis and then on the way back stop at

Restaurant La Savardina (yellow sun marker)

Good value fior money

noon-3 pm, 7-11pm

http://www.caprilasavardina.com/

All credit cards taken

Marvelous innovative Cuisane. Worth the walk even if you don't go to Villa Jovis.

picture from May 2008

After lunch there you could head back to the Funicular and do down to the prot and catch a boat tour fron there.

I think that walking to Villa Jovis alone fron the Piazzetta (without walkign to the Natural Arch) and back would be about 2 hours

Mentioned in this post
Belvedere Cannone
Belvedere Cannone
193 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Natural Arch
Natural Arch
506 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Directions from da Luigi back to Capri town?

Just back from Capri...I go for a couple of weeks every other year. Try this:

Arrive at Marina Grande...funiculare to Capri Town [Piazzetta]....have a cold drink.....walk to Punta Tragara....from Punta Tragara walk down to Da Luigi,

pay them whatever it costs, take a swim in one of the most beautiful spots on earth [ we spend time on St. Barths , Anguilla, etc.], eat a great lunch [it can be simple or take all afternoon}wash it down with an Adriatico rose, then decide if you want to walk more or chill out. Forget about saving money on Capri....It's one of the most sybaritic places on earth and costs a lot to experience. Pass on things like the Blue grotto or trying to do too much.

Have fun,. Getting there early in the morning will help you stay ahead of the swarm of day visitors.

Mentioned in this post
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
757 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Punta Tragara
Punta Tragara
376 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean