We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking in Sorrento and leaving to Capri?

campinas
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
parking in Sorrento and leaving to Capri?

We plan to go to Amalfi Coast and Capri late september and I saw some ideas for transfer from Fuimiccino such as train to Naples+taxi+ferry.My plan would be get a rented car at Fuimiccino and drive to Sorrento(?) and park somewhere,take the aliscafo for Capri(staying 2 nights).Then come back to Sorrento and drive to Positano for 2-3 more nights.Driving back to Rome (4 nights ) before flying back to home....Does it make sense ????

Thanks for help...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking in Sorrento and leaving to Capri?

Hi

Are you going straight to Capri to stay for 2 nights? You're not staying in Sorrento? If you're leaving the car for 2 nights parked it seems a bit of a waste.

Ok, here's my opinion, all using public transport

Train from airport to Termini Station, Rome.

Train to Naples

Bus from Naples station to port

Hydrofoil to Capri

Hydrofoil to Positano

Bus to Sorrento from Positano

Train Sorrento to Naples

Train Naples to Rome

I make a very rough estimate of approx 145 euros per person. How many of you are there? How does it compare with the cost of hiring a car, plus parking fees etc?

Ellie

campinas
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking in Sorrento and leaving to Capri?

I am wondering about renting a car because we are used to travel this way in Europe,we could visit maybe Amalfi/Ravello by ourselfs,except for the aliscafo hours we would have freedom to decide when to leave...

The question is:

can I park somewhere in Sorrento?

At the end of September there is still lot of trafic on Amalfi coast road?

campinas
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking in Sorrento and leaving to Capri?

by the way:we are 2 coming from Fuimiccino ....

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking in Sorrento and leaving to Capri?

In Sorrento there are a few car parks. Maybe try the new one on Via Correale which is just off Piazza Tasso (the main square in town). Its underground. From there you can either walk down to Marina Piccola or take a bus down. With luggage the bus would probably be the best option. Its a windy road or lots of steps.

Ellie

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: parking in Sorrento and leaving to Capri?

My daughter and I flew into FCO in May 2008, took the train to Naples, then a taxi to Beverello port. We took a hydrofoil from Beverello port to capri. At the end of our vacation 11 days later we took the hyrdofoil from ischia to Beverello port the day before outr flight, trained back to Rome. We overnighted at Termini asnd took then plane fron FCO ion the morning.

I beleive there are ferries/ hydrofoils fron Capri to Positano or Amalfi in the tourist season (before the end of October).

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
243 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: parking in Sorrento and leaving to Capri?

We chose to hire a driver to take us from the Naples train station to / from Positano to avoid the parking / luggage transport hassle (100 euro both ways) and used the buses and ferries for the rest of our time there.

I can remember at least a dozen times thinking that I was so glad we did it that way. Honestly, I love to drive and don't mind driving the country roads and highways in Europe but I would rather chew off my left arm than drive on these curvy, narrow roads on the Amalfi Coast. And the driver misses that glorious view.

If your first stop is Capri you can arrive at the train station in Naples and take the ferry to Capri and then from Capri, the ferry to Positano and you wouldn't need a driver. Others can give better advice on the specific logistics there.

california
Level Contributor
187 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: parking in Sorrento and leaving to Capri?

You have helped me also. I plan to fly in and out of Rome. My question is should i go to praiano first or capri first after arrival in Naples by train? 3 nights in capri and 4 nights in Praino then back to Rome by way of Naples.

Sweden
Level Contributor
495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: parking in Sorrento and leaving to Capri?

I think you should go to Praiano first. Run around and discover the Amalfi coast first to get a feel for the place, then top it all off with 3 nights on Capri.

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
243 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: parking in Sorrento and leaving to Capri?

If it were me, I would do the furtherest away / most complicated transportation leg first and get it over with - others would need to confirm but I sense that would be FCO to Praiano.

Reasoning:

Your first day after a long flight are lost hours anyway - you need to stay up and adjust to your new time zone - hard to really enjoy that day - so get the 'work' done and over with so the rest is all about relaxing.

california
Level Contributor
187 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: parking in Sorrento and leaving to Capri?

thank you thank you thank you! Great idea, and my husband agrees. We will go straight from Rome to Praiano for 4 nights, capri 3 nights and then back to rome 2 or 3 nights before flying home.