We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis on Capri

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taxis on Capri

I have just read that there are some old open top taxis on the island can anybody book them or are they for special trips. I would like to use a taxis and a fanicular or cable car to see the island can anybody suggest the best way to go about this i.e.which way round also I would be interested in the cost of the taxis.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis on Capri

I took one of those taxis (it wasn't old) and it cost 15 euros to go from Marina Grande (where the ferries come in) up to the main square of Capri.

There is a funicular that just goes straight up from Marina Grande to the main square - that is the only funicular - it only takes a few minutes to go up or down.

There are buses you can take to Anacapri and to the other few places on the island that allow vehicles.

You can look at some options for tours at:

www.capri.net

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis on Capri

From Anacapri, you can take a chair lift all the way to the peak of the mountain, the chair lift is about 15 minute long ride, gorgeous VIEWs along the way, and stunning views from the mountain top. You can hike your way down (I think 2 hours) or take the chair lift down again. This was a very memorable part of our 3 day stay in Capri.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis on Capri

You don't have to hike down from the cable car. I take the cable car back down the mountain each time I have been on it.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Walking down looks really scarey to me

you can see people hiking down in this picture near the stair banister

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

in the center of the photo

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis on Capri

There's only one old open top taxi left and that one isn't really all that old. The other ancient vintage 1950-60's taxis were all replaced with open white Fiat Mareas and Nissans about ten years ago. The funicolare cable car runs from the port up to Capri town in four minutes, allowing you to see a bit of the countryside but mostly houses.

Regarding the chairlift to Monte Solaro (Lupaling calls it a "cable car" for some reason), from the main piazza of Anacapri to the top takes 12 minutes. After spending an adequate time on top, you can either ride it back down (assuming you purchased round-trip tickets) or hike down via the trail. The first section of the trail could be called moderately difficult in certain places but it's actually fairly easy except when the ground is wet when you have to take care not to slip in the mud. The remaining portion is gravel and/or cement all the way down into the town. It takes about 45 minutes from top to bottom.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis on Capri

Having grown up in flat cities we didn't have cable cars or chairlifts. There is a cable attached to the top of the chair. People used to refer to the thing at the ski hills that carried you up mountain as a cable car often. The chairlift is just a version I would guess tha has jsut one seat in it. fron the pictures one can clearly we waht I mean by what I wrote. the people in San francisco refer to theri bus that runs along on the ground as a cable car also. It is supplied energy for a attachment by a cable overhead and rusn along on tracks.

There are regional nuisances to English even within America that perhaps seem odd, just as British English, American English, and Australian english have theri nuisances mcuh the same as in Italy the Sicilians, Neopolitans, and Florentines have their regional differences. It is often difficult to get away from using the version of a language that one first learns in childhood. Although I have lived in Minnesota for 31 years now, the locals can spot me as in import when I speak. When at work we have foreign visitors, it is often considered rude to correct their English unless they are using a word is a totally incorrect fashion, or you cannot understand what they mean to say.

6. Re: Taxis on Capri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2011, 05:23