We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome -- Capri -- Santorini

San Diego...
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rome -- Capri -- Santorini

Hello!

My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon in August 2011. We're dividing our 2 weeks between Rome, Capri and Santorini. What I am looking for is some practical advice.

What is the best way to get from Rome to Capri? Is it a stop in Naples (we'd love to stop for pizza!)

What is the best way to get from Capri to Santorini? This is really where we feel stuck. Is it to take a ferry to Naples, fly from Naples to Athens and then on to Santorini? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome -- Capri -- Santorini

Hi,

To get from Rome to Capri - take a fast train from Termini Station to Napoli Centrale, then taxi to Molo Beverello dock in Naples and from there a hydrofoil to Capri.

To get to Santorini - Rome has more flight options to Athens/Santorini than Naples (Aegean Air, Olympic, Easyjet) so from Capri to Santorini, I would do the reverse of the above and take a flight from Rome (you will also need to transfer from Termini to the airport by train).

Aegean should have some connecting flights and although it is too early to see from Easyjet's site, they may have flights direct to Santorini next summer (they did to Myknonos from Rome this year).

Alternatively you can take a flight to Athens and transfer to Pireaus and take a ferry to Santorini although you will lose the best part of a day doing this option.

It is really quite spectacular to arrive in Santorini by boat, however you can take in these views if you take one of the several sunset/sailing/volcano tours whilst you are there.

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome -- Capri -- Santorini

There's a daily Alitalia flight from Naples direct to Athens. Leaves at 10.25 every day. Then Aegean or Olympic to Santorini (or the Blue Star ferry from Athens (Pireaus).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome -- Capri -- Santorini

Honeymoon (and congrats on your coming wedding!) as a personal recommendation, there is nothing like coming into the caldera of Santorini by boat (the Blue Star) It is simply spectacular! We also stopped at a couple of other islands, just to let people disembark, but still, you get to see a bit of them.

(You can always fly back)

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome -- Capri -- Santorini

I have traveled to Capri from Rome becaseu we flew in and out of Rome. Unless you are willing to spend extra time in Naples (you could check your luggage at the left luggage at the Central train station) , the parts of Naples that you see near the train station or near Beverello port are not the best for stopping and getting some great pizza unless you are willing to travel further away from these transit points. When I am at the Central train staiton in Naples I mostly try to not go outside it unless I really have to. The pizza on Capri is really good also.

There are trains that leave nearly hourly fron Termini that go to Naples central station and vice versa. There are 3 different types of trains and if you are waiting for one of the other for cost or time reason, you might have to wait longer than an hour. The AV train takes 70 min and cost 38 euro, approx, the IC train takes 2 hours and costs 22 euro, the region train cost somethign like 10.5 erups and takees 3 hours.

You can Taxi or take the Alibus to the beverllo prot. it yuou take a taxi, get a approx quote befreo you get in. The fare is suppsed to be limted by alw but the taxi drivers pretend not to know that . Search the TA Forum for the amoutn. The least amoutn that I have ever pad was 25 euro.

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome -- Capri -- Santorini

For those of you who are not used to Lupaling's particular usage of English, I'll attempt to translate her last paragraph:

"You can taxi or take the Alibus to the Beverello port. If you take a taxi get an approximate quote before you get in. The fare is supposed to be limited by law but the taxi drivers pretend not to know that. Search the TA forum for the amount. The least amount that I have ever paid was 25 euros."

Regardless of Lupaling's extensive stays on Capri or in Naples, her information today is not very current. The current train fare from Rome to Naples and vice versa is: High speed train (AV) (70 min.) €57 in 1st class, €44 in 2nd. Intercity train (about 2 1/2 hrs) €27 in 1st, €20.50 in 2nd. And if anyone wishs to ride the cattlecar "express" the fare is only €10.50 (no class) and you will eventually arrive at destination, usually in the same day.

Lastly, the official fixed fare for a taxi between the train station and port is €10.50 which includes luggage. You can also go with just the meter running and the fare should be around €8 or so depending on traffic, but luggage is extra. Lupaling reminds us all the time of the €25 she pays when she takes a taxi but I've never heard of anyone else paying that amount.

Edited: 17 November 2010, 15:46
6. Re: Rome -- Capri -- Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2011, 07:18