We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can a motion sick traveller to enjoy Capri? What hotel?

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Can a motion sick traveller to enjoy Capri? What hotel?

We are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and want to stay on Capri after a few days in Sorrento. My daughter (12) and I suffer from motion sickness and I hear that Capri is alot of twists and turns to get here and there. Is that true?

What's the best hotel to stay at ( in terms of luxury and not too much travelling around)?

Would 3 days in Capri be enough? Hopefully we can cover alot on foot.

Thank you for any help or advice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,929 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can a motion sick traveller to enjoy Capri? What hotel?

Capri is an island: you get there by ferry. Perhaps you are thinking of Amalfi?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can a motion sick traveller to enjoy Capri? What hotel?

Yes, I know it's an island but to get to hotels the roads are small and winding?? And there is Capri Town and Anacapri right? I am trying to get a handle on where we should park ourselves so we won't have to be in taxis and buses. This minimizes the motion sickness. We love to walk.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,109 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can a motion sick traveller to enjoy Capri? What hotel?

Don't stay in Anacapri if winding roads are a problem for you. Basically the majority of the island doesn't have roads for cars - especially in the Capri town side of the island.

I stay at Villa Brunella on Via Tragara (again, no cars) - I love it - it is a boutique hotel, gorgeous terraces, pool and views - and it is on my favorite walkway.

If you get sick, then you will probably miss out on taking one of the smaller boats around the island; those are great, they stop so people can jump in the sea and swim and usually stop by the Blue Grotto for those who want to go in.

But, for example, there are great hikes around the island - some of which you won't get to enjoy if you really have a problem getting to Anacapri. Can't you take some of those over the counter meds they have for motion sickness?

You can walk down (and it is a long walk down) to the sea to lay out by the water (not a beach; it is rocks that you lay on and go into the water from them) and there are restaurants for lunch/drinks while enjoying the sun and swimming.

But, Anacapri has some of the most interesting parts of the island - so, if you can figure a way to get there, I hope you can make it over to that side. It's not that far but the road is winding....

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can a motion sick traveller to enjoy Capri? What hotel?

Stay on the Capri side and there are not many even roads on that side and you have to walk to get where you want to go.

You would still have to get up from the port to Capri-town, Can you tolerate the cable car? the cable runs along the ground.

This is it in the lower right

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Edited: 03 March 2011, 04:02
Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can a motion sick traveller to enjoy Capri? What hotel?

My kids all suffer motion sickness and there is a solution. It is a thing called "seabands" which are a material covered elastic band thing about 25mm (one inch) wide which has a little plastic bump thing that fits into the dip between your tendons/bones about an inch below where your wrist bends.

It is an acupressure point. Don't roll your eyes I totally agree with your initial thoughts but they work! My kids are allergic to ginger so this was the only option for them (other than knockout pills). If they felt sick I would check the band and low and behold it would have moved so the plastic button wasn't in the right place. Once back in place again they would get better again.

My kids are grown up now but one recently went on a yacht trip (10 days) and took the bands and was fine. Lots of people were very distressed or knocked out! He still can't believe they work so well.

I would go for overkill and get two - one for each arm. They are available at most chemists in australia. The website tells you where you can buy them. They are about $10. You can buy them online. Don't drink milk or have icecream while travelling - I'm not sure if it is just my kids or not but this is a no no.

http://www.sea-band.com/seaband.htm

Edited: 03 March 2011, 06:48
Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can a motion sick traveller to enjoy Capri? What hotel?

I would love to know exactly how these bands work and they definitely did work for my son when he was younger, I don't think it could have been the placebo effect because when he was small I didn't tell him what they were for (can't remember what I told him) as children are open to suggestion and I didn't want to mention travel sickness.

I also agree with aussieastrogirl that milk products are best avoided.

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can a motion sick traveller to enjoy Capri? What hotel?

Aside from the possibility of motion sickness on the 20 min. crossing from Sorrento to Capri, you shouldn't have any problems if you stay on the Capri side of the island. The funicolare (cable car) is a straight shot from the port right up to the town center. If you stay in one of the center hotels (the La Palma and the Gatto BIanco are both very good 4* hotels) everything will be at your fingertips, sights, bars, restaurants, clubs, shopping, etc. Three nights on Capri would be very nice, allowing you to experience it in the evening after all the day trippers have gone.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can a motion sick traveller to enjoy Capri? What hotel?

It is an acupressure point that prevents nausea. That's as good as the explanation gets. Works for cancer patients and morning sickness too.

Amazing how these ancient remedies work! Not something I would usually promote, I guess, being a sceptic about most things alternative.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can a motion sick traveller to enjoy Capri? What hotel?

Thank you - I was definitely sceptical about these bands but, I have to say they did work!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,109 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can a motion sick traveller to enjoy Capri? What hotel?

Here's a great website about Capri and things to do/see, hotels, etc:

www.capri.net