We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Tragara or Quisisana?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
76 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Tragara or Quisisana?

Hi, my husband and I are going to Capri for 4 nights in July and we can't decide which hotel to stay at; so far it is between Punta Tragara and Quisisana. We want a hotel with a good location but at the same time we'd like a nice pool with a view to lounge by... Any thoughts or suggestions?

The 2 hotels have mixed reviews here on TA, some have even complained about the sheets and maid service of Punta Tragara, can this be true of a 5 star hotel??

And does anyone know whether Punta Tragara is close enough to the Piazetta?

Thanks

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Tragara or Quisisana?

For the past hundred years or more the Quisisana has indisputedly been the best hotel on the island. The Punta Tragara is a relative newcomer, having been founded after World War II from a luxury villa. Both are classed as five-star deluxe hotels - there is one other, the Capri Palace up in Anacapri.

That said, I would discount the few negative reviews found in the TA hotel review pages as just bellyaching by some discontented guests. Five star hotels rarely have housekeeping problems.

Both hotels have lovely pools and sea views, are quiet, and are full service; with maybe the Quisi having more services, like its tennis courts, spa, etc. The difference is location. The Punta Tragara is at the far end of via Tragara, overlooking the sea and the Faraglioni rocks. The Quisi is central, just a two minute walk slightly downhill from the Piazzetta. You can't go wrong with either one but if you're looking for true luxury, I'd opt for the Quisisana. Hope this helps.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,506 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Tragara or Quisisana?

Punta Tragara is probably at least a 15 minute walk from the Piazetta so whether that is "close enough" is up to you. I love that view at the end where the Tragara hotel is located (I haven't stayed in that hotel, but another on Via Tragara) and personally prefer it to staying in the village, but that's just personal preference.

I haven't stayed at the Q but have been inside and have had drinks there and the property is really beautiful and once you are on the property, the views are gorgeous and you don't feel as though you are smack dab in the village.

And, the Q always reigns supreme when it comes to luxury from everyone I know who has stayed there.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
76 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Tragara or Quisisana?

Thank you both for your replies, very helpful!

I just have one more question in case you can help, is it possible to visit the amalfi coast for the day from Capri? We would love to see positano, ravello, amalfi and were wondering whether this can be done while staying in Capri.

Thanks!

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Tragara or Quisisana?

This summer it appears doubtful that the "Metro del Mare" will be running because the Campania regional council is out of money for its subsidies. This was the line that for the past eight years permitted morning travel from Capri to the Amalfi Coast and back in the evening. Currently the only line running has boats coming to the island in the morning and going back in the afternoon - which won't help you at all. You could take an early boat to Sorrento and then the bus to Amalfi, returning to Sorrento in time for the last boat back to Capri at 19.15. We'll have to wait and see if there are changes as we move closer to the summer season.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
76 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Tragara or Quisisana?

Thanks! And if we do start off in Sorrento for the day we'd have enough time to visit positano, ravel and amalfi then go back to Capri at around 7 pm?

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Tragara or Quisisana?

You might ask on the Amalfi Coast forum to be sure. I only get over that way once every couple years or so and am not familiar with the bus schedules and routes.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
76 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Tragara or Quisisana?

Ok will do that thanks a lot!

8. Re: Punta Tragara or Quisisana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 11:18