We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries from Salerno to Capri - alternatives to Alicost?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Ferries from Salerno to Capri - alternatives to Alicost?

Hi, we're doing a Med cruise with our family and will be docked in Salerno for one day next month. We would love to visit Capri, but am struggling to find information about how to get from Salerno to Capri. As far as I can tell, there is only one ferry line (Alicost) which goes directly from Salerno to Capri - but at very restricted times. You have a choice of two very early morning slots to go to Capri, and two very late afternoon slots to return to Salerno... We are travelling with 3 small children, so I am concerned about spending 8 whole hours on Capri - would prefer to have the option to return to Salerno earlier, in case things go pear-shaped, as they so often do with children ;-)

Can anyone pls advise if there is an alternative route that I have not come across myself? Perhaps another ferry line offering different times?

Any feedback would be much appreciated - thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries from Salerno to Capri - alternatives to Alicost?

www.capri.net

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries from Salerno to Capri - alternatives to Alicost?

Thanks for the link - I had already checked it out, but although it mentions the names of other companies providing transport to Capri, I have had no joy in finding out any information on these companies. Most of them don't have websites (or at least, not that I can find after doing hours of research on the internet), and the few that do have websites are not in English - and I've tried to translate the pages, but not with any success. (You can translate the home page, but the minute you click on any of the information pages, it reverts back to Italian.)

Seriously struggling!

The alternative is I ditch our Capri plans, and rather take a ferry to Positano, which seems to have better time slots, offering earlier returns to Salerno... but I would hate to miss this opportunity to see Capri - and I think Capri would be more enjoyable for the kids too, rather than Positano??

So if anyone else has other suggestions on how to get to Capri from Salerno, I would be most grateful. Thanks!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries from Salerno to Capri - alternatives to Alicost?

Two observations:

1. Next month, Alicost (based on last year's schedules) should have additional boats between Salerno and Capri than the two currently shown on its website;

2. Based on the current website schedules, if you take the second boat from Salerno to Capri, and return on the first boat from Capri to Salerno, you have only 5.5 hours on Capri, which is not really that much time. Anything much less than this makes the trip of marginal utility and enjoyment.

I do not believe that there are competitor public operators on this route.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,443 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries from Salerno to Capri - alternatives to Alicost?

Why do you think Capri would be more fun for your kids than Positano? You can go swimming from the beach in Positano and wander the small streets/walkways up and down the village; wander over to the smaller of the two beaches, Il Fornillo; take a boat ride to the green grotto, etc.

What do you think you would do on Capri with small children that would be more appealing? I love both places but I don't understand the distinction about fun re: Capri vs Positano for small kids. If you are looking for hiking, there is hiking in both places. Both are gorgeous but was there something in particular you thought your kids would enjoy more on Capri?

With such a short time, I'd go for Positano.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries from Salerno to Capri - alternatives to Alicost?

@:GAC: thanks for the heads up that Alicost might release more time slots next month for Capri.... will keep an eye out for that!

@MomCat: I posted an earlier question re how to choose between Capri and Positano if you only have one day with 3 small children, and most responses indicated that Capri would offer more for children (perhaps in terms of open spaces and mobility?)... but I am now leaning more towards Positano - it offers better timed ferry transfers, and as you say, there's the beach for the kids. Thanks!

Now I just need to find out if the ferries will be running on a Sunday (!), and also need to figure out if we are docking @ Concordia or Manfredi?? Are the two docks within walking distance from each other? Does anyone know?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries from Salerno to Capri - alternatives to Alicost?

ferries run seven days per week, weather permitting.

Alicost = Salerno Manfredi Dock = two kilometers from Salerno train station

Cooperativa Sant'Andrea = Salerno Concordia Dock = 800 meters from Salerno train station

Salerno Concordia Dock to Salerno Manfredi Dock = 2400 meters

There are local city buses between the train station and Manfredi Dock. You can walk it in under 30 minutes.

You must walk to the Concordia Dock. Allow 10 minutes from the train station.

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferries from Salerno to Capri - alternatives to Alicost?

Besides being the Capri DE, I'm also a very experienced cruiser. The question that comes to my mind is this: is your cruise ship offering an excursion to Capri? If so, take it and you can enjoy your tour without having to worry about timetables, boats, and above all, making it back to the ship on time! If you want to do it on your own, remember it's a long way from Salerno to Capri and the two morning and afternoon runs you mention are the only ones you can count on this year. Also keep in mind that while the weather and sea conditions in July are generally good, Capri will be overflowing with tourists and the do-it-yourselfers will face long lines for just about everything.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferries from Salerno to Capri - alternatives to Alicost?

You can of course check with your cruise line or travel agent to discover where the ship will moor up - however on several visits I've not seen any large vessels using the Concordia dock, which for all its convenience to the train station is actually little more than a glorified yacht marina...

c.f.

www.porto.salerno.it/index.php…

and

www.porto.salerno.it/index.php…

That said, I'm very surprised anyone here advised dragging your kids all that way, with only 8 hours to play with!

Had you considered Amalfi, where you may find a wide enough range of things to see and do to keep you all entertained... within a much easier distance from the ship?

Peter

9. Re: Ferries from Salerno to Capri - alternatives to Alicost?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 08:19
Get answers to your questions about Capri
Recent Conversations