We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Grotto

Hackettstown, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Blue Grotto

I am heading to Amalfi next week for three days.

I need to know if it is okay to wait until I arrive there in order to arrange a trip to Capri and the Blue grotto.

Or is it advisable to book a trip now before I leave?

I would rather not have to lose money if the weather is bad!

Capri, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sorrento, Capri
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Grotto

Hi Ron, no, i don't really need to book in advance a trip. Just check the weather and go!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Grotto

Be aware, though, that even on the most beautiful of days, the grotto can wind up being closed because the sea is too high to allow the tiny boats to enter. I don't know if there is a way to learn about a closure before heading to Capri but even if you do get there and it is closed, Capri has many other treasures to enjoy:

www.capri.net

Lommel, Belgium
Level Contributor
113 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Grotto

Yes ideed, we went there a week ago and had beautifull weather but the sea was too wild and high so it was closed. Real bummer but other then that we really enjoyed capri and it was my highlight of our vacation

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Grotto

You don't have yo book ahead . We were there a couple of weeks ago. Weather was great but did not do the grotto. We were advised that it would beat least an hours wait to get to go in. Of course it was very crowded when we were there. Actually, it was a zoo. Much to busy for us. We had hired a boat to take us all around the isle a d then dropped is off for a few hours of touring before picking us up to return. The boat ride was the best part.

virginia
Level Contributor
708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Grotto

I'll be in Sorrento, so how do I get to Capri. I'll be coming in November. Thanks. Eleana

Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Grotto

We were just there and walked down to the port from the Piazza Tasso and there were several boats to choose from that were selling tickets. Don't know if the number of boats making the trip decreases by November. Easy walk down to the port, but found a local bus (red) to take back up to the Piazza for 1 Euro - well spent Euro.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
137 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Grotto

We did this trip last week, stayed at Amalfi.

There are about 5-6 ferries running daily from Amalfi to Capri. We took the 9.30 am ferry, beautiful ride, booked on the spot at one of the ticket windows on the Amalfi port.

As soon as we reached the Capri ferry port, we walked 2 minutes to the right side where tours to the Blue grotto depart. Paid 13 euros, waited for 10 minutes and were on a boat to the blue grotto. Reached the blue grotto in about 20-30 minutes, we were made to go down to a really small boat which could barely fit the guy rowing the boat and just 4 other people.ticket to the blue grotto at the entrance 13 euros.

Entered the blue grotto in 5 minutes, came out in 10 minutes. Tipped the guy to stay a bit longer and take two rounds.

Back to the Capri port in 20 minutes.

Total time from Capri to Blue Grotto and back was about 1 hour.

London
Level Contributor
142 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Grotto

Goodness Ria12! I hope you had a good time?

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
241 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Grotto

A little advice - make this one of the first things you do once reaching Capri! I waited and visited the town first, thinking I could head down mid afternoon. By 2:45 when I got there, all the boats were gone and someone waiting for the bus told me they had left around 2:30 because there was no one left to take in. He also said they normally close around 3:30 / 4 anyway, because of the tide (I'm sure that varies, though).

It's the one thing I'm really bummed about missing in Capri!

jessica

onedayinitaly.com

10. Re: Blue Grotto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2013, 10:17