We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capri or Naples

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Capri or Naples

My wife and I will be traveling in May to Italy flying into venice and out of Naples early. Should our hotel be in Capri or Naples. Thanks for any advise. R&D

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,022 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Capri or Naples

How early?.

Capri is a 50-90 minute hydrofoil/ferry ride from Naples. According to Capri.net the first hydrofoil departs at 06:50 which in a perfect world would get you to Naples about 07:40, then you'd still need to get to the airport, check in, get through security, etc.

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capri or Naples

Thanks. We have 4 nights in the area. Would it make since to stay 3 nights in Capri and our last night in Naples so we can get to the airport? Also, we are looking for relaxation by this point. Would you recommend Capri or Ischia?

Thanks, RandD

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,384 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capri or Naples

Ischai and Capri are both lovely, but Ischia is cheaper and less corwded in the may. In May 2008 we vacations for 8 days on Capri and then 3 days on Ischia. Ischai has great sand beaches if you are a beach person

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Capri or Naples

Look at either and yes, just to be on safe side, 3 nights on whichever island you choose with last night in Naples. It is unlikely but if there were really bad weather, there could be a problem with getting a ferry back to Naples on the morning of your flight - doubtful but, again, one never knows and my thing is to always be safe than sorry (and lose a ton of money).

www.capri.net

http://www.capritourism.com/en/home

[the two above sites are somewhat similar but each of have a different way of presenting the info; I like to look at both]

Look through the Ischia forum for many threads and invaluable advice from Peter (Brit_in_Ischia) - who is a destination expert for the island and lives there; tons of amazing and helpful info there.

Have fun! Beautiful area.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
49 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capri or Naples

Capri, if you want to be in a relaxed situation! Naples is big, noisy and you have to watch for pickpockets. Taking a taxi is like" living on the edge". I also found it to be a dirty and unfriendly place. Capri is gorgeous and three days there would be just enough.

Enjoy!

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capri or Naples

Thank you all for the great info. We have a room booked at Hotel Weber Ambassador in Capri for 3 nights and the last night in Naples.

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Capri or Naples

So, we are flying into Venice om May 11th. Then to Florence, Rome, Capri, and out of Naples on the 24th. I guess there are several options for train travel. Any suggestions?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Capri or Naples

We got the train from Venice to Florence. It was great. Very comfortable.

Then we got the train from Florence to Sienna and then on to Rome then through Naples (stop off at Pompeii then to Sorrento.

The train south of Rome was disgusting. Toilets were horrendous.

Gloucester, MA
Level Contributor
205 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Capri or Naples

If you are leaving early in the morning stay in Napoli. Stay in a hotel right in Napoli, have the hotel book the cab for you the night before also make sure to FIND out what the cab cost to the airport will be. Cab drivers are known to change the price when you get to the airport.

Also I recommend that you have your luggage shrink wrapped before you check in.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Capri or Naples

Use www.trenitalia.com for trains; buy on line in advance if you know for certain the dates/times you wish to travel as the discounted fares (which are great and can save a fortune) have strict terms and conditions which you can read on the website) - you can buy tickets 120 days in advance but as of now they do not have the schedules loaded yet for trains after June 9, so just keep checking for when they go on sale. I saved literally hundreds of euros last March by buying my tickets in advance - terrific savings. I paid 19 euros for seats that normally sold for more than 80 euros - very nice indeed. You cannot always count on getting those lower fares as they are not offered on every train and are not unlimited; they do sell out and when they do, they are gone.

I am curious; why have your bag shrink wrapped? Do you think it somehow stops security from checking your bag if they choose to do so? I know it doesn't so what is the point of doing that? I never did understand it.

Seems like a waste of money to me. But, then I usually only a take a carry on but a few times when I have checked my bag, I opened it upon arrival at home to find a note in it saying it had been opened and inspected. Shrink wrapping will not stop them from doing that if they want to.