We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Visit: Yay or Nay?

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
340 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Day Visit: Yay or Nay?

I am considering a day trip, roughly around Oct. 10. I will have already seen/done the coastal sights of Cinque Terre & Amalfi Coast by that point and as I would only have 1 day, I'm wondering if it's worth it. Also wondering how difficult the boat trip over would typically be that time of year. I have never been seasick or motionsick and been on LOTS of boats/liveaboards of all sizes (live in Florida plus I'm a diver) but I've heard that it can be really rough? Also should add that Blue Grotto is not a draw for me as I've done that sort of thing in Portugal and Hawaii and not into a long, crowded wait to see another grotto.

Capri sounds nice but I'm uncertain as to how unique it will be from Cinque & Amalfi.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,742 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Visit: Yay or Nay?

Only you can say whether it is worth it - I love the island and stay for up to a week at a time and the Blue Grotto has not been a draw for me for many many years - was not impressed much when I did see it but the island has much to offer.

You don't need to decide now about going - decide when you are there. If it is a nice day, you can choose to go - I've not gone over on very rough seas. I don't like hydrofoils so only take the ferry, which takes longer but I prefer it.

www.capri.net for all there is to see on the island

Scranton...
Level Contributor
440 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Visit: Yay or Nay?

We were just at both Capri and the Amalfi coast in May. For the Amalfi coast, we took a bus to Ravello, then hiked down the path to Atrani and on to Amalfi.

At Capri, we wandered the town a bit, then took the chair lift to the top of Monte Solaro, which afforded some spectacular and iconic views. We descended the mountain on foot, which was another quite beautiful walk. We also very much enjoyed the Chiesa Monumentale di S. Michele, which has an elaborate Majollica tile floor. We did not visit the Blue Grotto.

The Amalfi coast and Capri are similar in many ways, but they are very different experiences. The view from Monte Solaro is worth the trip, but if we return to the area, we would be more likely to do some more walking in the many paths between the villages along the Amalfi coast than to return to Capri.

3. Re: Day Visit: Yay or Nay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 05:16