We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capri Wine Hotel location and thoughts

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Capri Wine Hotel location and thoughts

Good morning

I am checking on this for a friend who may be traveling to Capri soon. This hotel looks appealing but I'm not sure if the location is convenient or not. The "view from the garden" makes it look as if it's at least a 15 minute walk to the main square of Capri given that it's most likely uphill.

http://www.capriwinehotel.com/en/index

http://www.capriwinehotel.com/en/gallery

What are your thoughts on this location? I also wonder if, given that it's on a main road (apparently) if that would mean more hustle bustle and possibly no sidewalks - I was on a part of a road for a short time, during my walk down the Scala Fenicia, that had no sidewalk.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,913 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Capri Wine Hotel location and thoughts

Did you walk the little orange fellow on google maps - I took a peek and it does look like a road with no sidewalks (do they even have sidewalks? I don't remember and I've been a number of times) - but, I'm not sure if that is the only way to reach the piazzetta, etc -

I also took a look at the reviews - frankly, that is a heck of a lot of reviews from one time posters, who have only submitted a review for this place and have no other posts at all - actually, more one timers than I have seen for any property I recall looking at BUT the reviews from others with some posting history are also very good. (I am not dismissing out of hand such one time posters but there really are quite a lot for such a short period of time since it opened which does make me wonder).

You might want to send a private message to one of the reviewers and ask this question to be sure - unless and until someone here shows up and knows the answer. It does look like a nice new property. Their prices look good too.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capri Wine Hotel location and thoughts

Thanks MomCat, I was hoping you'd see this! Your trip is coming up very soon, eh?

The photos definitely make it look appealing. I just wonder how that walk is going to be. The road had no sidewalks where I was.

Here is where I "emerged" when I did my walk from the Scala Fenicia into Capri - I did not walk to Marina Grande as I opted to walk all the way up to Capri. Gorgeous, but no sidewalks and some hills to climb. I crossed over fairly quickly though and then up the hill into the piazza... no idea where this hotel is in reference to my photo however.

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157633596612080

Not sure how to walk the little guy, I'll check it out again...

Thanks again!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,913 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Capri Wine Hotel location and thoughts

I'm terrible with the names of streets - just awful - I pretty move around everywhere like a homing pigeon - so, while I have probably been on this street, I have no way of knowing for sure.

The little guy on google maps takes a bit of getting used to - took me awhile to work it out and I still have some confusing moments when I begin to "walk" the street. You click on him and drag him to the location on the map then let go of the click - street view will (should) appear and then there are some controls top left of the street view that you can use to move forwards, etc on the street.

I think one of the reviewers (who seem possibly more authentic than a few of them) would be able to give you a good idea - Unless someone has some mobility issues, they should be fine. I walk all the time on Italian streets that are narrow with no sidewalks - you just learn how to keep watch behind you when there is a curve in the road, etc.

Capri, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sorrento, Capri
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capri Wine Hotel location and thoughts

Hi Sky, I've visited the hotel (not as a guest, just for a glass of wine) and it's very nice. From the hotel to Piazzetta there isn't side walk on the main street, but there is a little lane just in front on the hotel (not signed on Google maps) that connect the Marina Grande Road with Via Roma,(you should see with Gmap Satellite view). It's a 10-15 minutes walk, but easily, but it's enough flat.

In reference on your photo the hotel is around is about 150 metres up (in direction from Marina Grande to Capri)

London
Level Contributor
142 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capri Wine Hotel location and thoughts

To be honest, I don't even think it would be as much as a 15 minute walk- more like 8-10 minutes....but it is uphill as Camilla-JS says, and there is a small uphill lane that avoids the main road.

It is not in the centre per se, but it might be a nice option, particularly because the views of Vesuvio & the Sorrentine Peninsular are lovely.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capri Wine Hotel location and thoughts

Hi everyone

Thank you for all of the thoughts on this. It sounds like it would be a good, quiet location. The photos are very appealing.

7. Re: Capri Wine Hotel location and thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 05:18