We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Reliability from Capri to Naples late Sept/early Oct

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malvern, Ohio
11 posts
Save Topic
Ferry Reliability from Capri to Naples late Sept/early Oct

We found the ferry schedule but we also heard that ferrys can be delayed and the morning we leave capri the hydrofoil is schedule to leave at 6:50am and if it is delayed we will most likely miss our flight out of naples. I need to know what is the likelihood of a ferry being delayed due to water or anything else in early October......anyone have any experience with this? Will it maybe be worth it to have a water taxi / or private boat come get us from capri?? Need suggestions please.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Reliability from Capri to Naples late Sept/early Oct

It can happen - I don't think it happens often but it is not unheard of if the seas are rough; I'd never do this for a flight back to the states. I always stay in the city from which I am flying home - personal comfort level and all. Not worth the risk if I can avoid certain potential issues that could arise.

Up to you, obviously. Do be at the airport 3 hours pre-departure time if this is an international flight.

Malvern, Ohio
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Reliability from Capri to Naples late Sept/early Oct

we are flying to paris from naples. up to 2 hours before and no later than 40 minutes arrival before the flight. Have you heard of anyone getting a water taxi?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Reliability from Capri to Naples late Sept/early Oct

Oh, that's better - if off to Paris.

Never have heard of anyone getting such a water taxi - I presume that is because it would cost the earth. It would be extremely expensive - You can check though to see if any are listed on www.capri.net - and then you can email them in query, including whether they take to the sea if it is too rough for the ferries/hydrofoils - not sure they would but I do not know for certain.

Gloucester, MA
Level Contributor
194 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Reliability from Capri to Naples late Sept/early Oct

I find it better to stay in Napoli the night before. It makes your life better to be in Napoli going to the airport, not waiting in Capri wondering what the weather is going to be the morning you are leaving.

Last year the sea was not good and I was worried if I was going to get across. I went to the port and took the first boat I could get on. When I got across went to the hotel and it rained all day. But I was there no worries I was on the mainland.

Capri, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sorrento, Capri
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Reliability from Capri to Naples late Sept/early Oct

I'm agree with MomCat. Water taxi are small boat and if the big ferry can't leavo due the sea rough, it's impossible that a water taxi would be able to connect Capri with Naples. And yes, it's really expensive, around 500 or 600 euros.

Anyway, the Caremar Ferry at 5.40 leaves even in the worst seas condition. It should be a very big storm to delete the first ferry and in early october it's very unlikely.

6. Re: Ferry Reliability from Capri to Naples late Sept/early Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 06:19