We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capri August friendly, and Sicily not so August friendly?

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san juan islands...
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Capri August friendly, and Sicily not so August friendly?

We are in the "dreaming of/if only" phase of planning a trip to Italy. Sadly, we can only go in August. A friend said she loved Sicily because of many things, one being it felt like it's own little Country. When I looked at TA Sicily page titled Weather and When to go tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187886-s208/Sicily:I… ...it sounded like we should stay far, far away from Sicily at the end of August.

My dream filled vision of our trip to Italy means Capri! The TA article titled Capri Weather and When to go reads much nicer... tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187783-s208/Capri:Is… Sounds positively pleasant.

Is there really that much of a difference in the two Islands in August? One more thing, a well-traveled friend mentioned the Italians vacation in August and feel like it is "their time" to enjoy their wonderful Country so tourists are less appreciated. I imagine there may be some truth to this. August is the only time we could go.

Sorrento
Level Contributor
514 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capri August friendly, and Sicily not so August friendly?

August is high season both in Sicily and Capri.

All the italian peope have their holidays in the middle of the month and everywhere is crowded and the rates are high.

But it is not true that tourists are not appreciated.

Capri, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sorrento, Capri
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capri August friendly, and Sicily not so August friendly?

Actually August is not the peak season in Capri, here is June the more crowded mont. In August you'll find more italian and more italian day tripper instead of american and north-european people. but it's not true that touriste are not appreciated!

san juan islands...
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capri August friendly, and Sicily not so August friendly?

Thank you MEMOLE and Camilla for your replies. The month we spent in Italy 2 years ago made me love the the Country. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. We hope to go back, any time of year!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,255 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capri August friendly, and Sicily not so August friendly?

I visited Capri for 8 days in May 2008. The people on Capri were very friendly and polite. We were never made to feel unwelcome.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,950 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Capri August friendly, and Sicily not so August friendly?

Tourists are welcomed and appreciated!

Yes, August is when Italians holiday, and so all holiday destinations are crowded, including Capri (Campania).

www.frommers.com/destinations/campania/735482

August isn't Sicily's optimal month to visit lilyroses, but after Ferragosto and towards the end of the month when you would plan your holiday is a nicer time than mid-month. It would also depend on your intended destinations and what you would like to see and do.

Vagabonda

san juan islands...
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capri August friendly, and Sicily not so August friendly?

I probably worded my "August tourist appreciated?" remark wrongly. Italians are lovely and friendly. So much so that I wish I was an Italian living in Italy!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,950 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Capri August friendly, and Sicily not so August friendly?

Thanks lilyroses!

Hope you find the perfect place for your holiday and enjoy!

Vagabonda

8. Re: Capri August friendly, and Sicily not so August friendly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 05:17