We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Capri, Italy

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Woods...
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in Capri, Italy

I read about a Fortress Hike in Capri. Does anyone have information and/or a map of this hike? My husband and I would like to hike about 4 hours in Capri, have nice views and be away from the crowds. Any ideas and information would be helpful. We will only be there one day. We are in our late 60's but quite fit and have done a lot of hiking. We do not like to do very steep descents.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,391 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Capri, Italy

http://www.capri.net/en/itineraries

I'm not sure about a "Fortress Hike" but here's something that may help get you started. There is also a book published in England called, I think, "The Sunflower Guide to Walking on the Amalfi Coast" that has many good itineraries.

When I was on Capri I was with an organized walking group, so I did not do the walk planning, but we did a very nice quiet walk away from crowds that started at Anacapri, on the top of the island, and passed through a lot of quiet back lanes and ultimately ended up at a lovely viewpoint on, I think, the western side of the island. It looks like it might have been at least part of the itinerary described as "From Torre de la Guarda to Faro" in the attached material. I am like you -- I hate the steep descents -- and I don't recall any on that walk from Anacapri. Also, the town of Anacapri is nice, with an interesting baroque church.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,391 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Capri, Italy

http://www.capri.net/en/itineraries

I'm not sure about a "Fortress Hike" but here's something that may help get you started. There is also a book published in England called, I think, "The Sunflower Guide to Walking on the Amalfi Coast" that has many good itineraries.

When I was on Capri I was with an organized walking group, so I did not do the walk planning, but we did a very nice quiet walk away from crowds that started at Anacapri, on the top of the island, and passed through a lot of quiet back lanes and ultimately ended up at a lovely viewpoint on, I think, the western side of the island. It looks like it might have been at least part of the itinerary described as "From Torre de la Guarda to Faro" in the attached material. I am like you -- I hate the steep descents -- and I don't recall any on that walk from Anacapri. Also, the town of Anacapri is nice, with an interesting baroque church.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,391 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Capri, Italy

Also, we did our walk on Capri as part of a day trip from Sorrento. Took the ferry to Capri, then the funicular from the port to Capri town, then the bus up to Anacapri, and the reverse on the way home.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,923 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in Capri, Italy

Maybe this refers to the walk up to Villa Jovis, which was Emperor Tiberius's retreat/fortress on the top of the mountain on the eastern end of the island.

We did this walk last year and really enjoyed it, especially the rural route back. If you follow the road route up to the villa, once there you will see signs (in English and Italian) showing you the way to a return path through the woods.

More info on Villa Jovis here: www.capri.net/en/s/villa-jovis-mount-tiberio

Huntington Woods...
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in Capri, Italy

Thanks for your reply. Were there good views of the coast on your way up to the Villa Jovis?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,923 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking in Capri, Italy

Not on the way up, because you're walking through a residential area, but there are on the route back through the woods.

For views, the better hike is the one out to Arco Naturale and Pizzolungo: http://www.capri.net/en/i/pizzolungo-2

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking in Capri, Italy

I would really recommend the Sunflower Guide. We visited for a day, got ourselves to Anacapri and walked back down the ancient steps, using the route in this book. I would imagine it to be difficult to avoid descents, as when you arrive you catch the funicular or get a bus to a higher level - it is all very hilly. The walk from the small square to the natural arch is flatter - that was a beautiful walk and we did this after our walk from Anacapri and wished we had had enough time to continue it down to the port. About the crowds - a two minute stroll away from the little square and you can be completely by yourselves. Likewise the walk from Anacapri, we came across a handful of people once we had left Anacapri behind. All this talk of crowds - most people want to stay with the crowds it seems; they are so easy to avoid.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,402 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking in Capri, Italy

The Fortress hike is Path of the Seven French fortress in Anacapri. We saw some on the boat tour we thought

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

But we did not go on this hike. The hike to Villa jovis is very scenic. Even in May there is hardly anyone around

Capri, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sorrento, Capri
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking in Capri, Italy

The italian name should be "Sentiero dei Fortini". There it is the itinerary:

http://www.capri.com/en/i/towers-and-forts-2

Sweden
Level Contributor
495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking in Capri, Italy

If you can find the book "Capri Blossoming" this hike is described in detail there.

amazon.com/Capri-Blossoming-Botanical-Tullia…

It also has many other nice walks.