We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Capri from Sorrento or a weekend on Capri

bucks
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Capri from Sorrento or a weekend on Capri

Hello.

We are travelling through Italy in July/August using only public transport and on a small budget for day-to-day spending after hotels are paid for. I have booked 3 nights in Florence but am unsure what to do next. Currently, my thinking is to spend the weekend on Capri and then 3 nights in Sorrento before heading home via Levanto for 3 nights.

However, I am having second thoughts about this part of the trip and wondered if I should book 5 nights in Sorrento and just plan a day trip over to Capri. It is not the cost that is putting me off this part of the trip; I am worrying about the getting there from Florence on a Saturday in July! However, I was thinking that if we leave Florence at around 9am we should reach the ferries over to Capri after many of the day trippers and so that part of the journey might not be quite so hectic. On the journey back, we could again miss most of the daytrippers by getting on a mid-afternoon ferry. Do you think this would be the case?

Also, I know this has been asked before but is there any way of booking the ferry tickets in advance?

Many thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,101 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Capri from Sorrento or a weekend on Capri

No, you can't book ferries in advance; you will be fine

I would definitely go with a weekend, at least two nights on Capri - but, if you need to book ASAP - it is the most popular time of the year in the region, with August being the most popular month of all.

www.capri.net has info about the island as well as listings of lodgings; for lesser priced lodgings, check the many B&Bs on the Anacapri side -

It's pretty much a straight shot - easier to me than getting to Sorrento from Florence; train to Naples, taxi or bus to port, and jump on ferry/hydrofoil to Capri. You bypass the local train to Sorrento which takes about 60-70 minutes, depending on which you choose - so, basically, it is about the same amount of time.

That website above will (later, not now) have the summer schedules for the boats from Naples to Capri.

bucks
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Capri from Sorrento or a weekend on Capri

Thanks MomCat. I was hoping someone would advise that as we had pretty much made up our minds, just wanted some reassurance that it was a good choice given that we are having to go during the most popular time of year.

We are travelling from Florence to Capri followed by 3 nights in Sorrento. Can't wait!

Edited: 11 February 2014, 11:30
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Capri from Sorrento or a weekend on Capri

What's nice then is that you can then take the boat over from Capri directly to Sorrento after your time on the island.

4. Re: Day trip to Capri from Sorrento or a weekend on Capri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 06:17