We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples to Capri, and Capri to Praiano

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Naples to Capri, and Capri to Praiano

My boyfriend and I will be going to Capri in August 2014. Our plane lands in Naples at 13:20 and we plan to take a taxi to the Naples Beverello port. Do we have to buy hydrofoil tickets ahead of time, or can we purchase them upon arrival at the port? Also, approximately how long would it take to get to the port from the airport? Wondering if we'd make it in time to catch the 14:40 hydrofoil or if the 15:35 hydrofoil is a safer bet.

From Capri, we will be travelling to Praiano on the Amalfi Coast. Is our best option to catch a ferry/hydrofoilt to Positano and then take a taxi to Praiano? If so, does anyone know how much a taxi might cost between the two towns?

Thanks for your help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples to Capri, and Capri to Praiano

You may or may not make that first boat; I would doubt it but if you have only carryon bags and are coming from a country where you already went through immigration - you might make it -

I'd plan on catching the second one you mention.

I think, if you have bags (do you?), then I'd suggest taking the ferry to Amalfi instead of Positano because then you don't have to walk up a long way to get to the bus or where you would catch a taxi to get to Praiano from Positano; the bus/taxis are right by where the boat from Capri will drop you in Amalfi.

I'd guess - and you just need to do some more checking - that it will be about 50-60 euros to Praiano from Amalfi (could be more this season; don't know) BUT, you will also have the opportunity to try and get on the bus going towards Sorrento (again, right by the ferry) - that bus begins in Amalfi and yes, there will be a mash up of people trying to get on it, but you could give it a try and then save quite a lot of money by doing so.

Tickets for the SITA buses can be gotten in the little shop across from where the buses are parked - you can't miss the sign for it -

www.capri.net has the boat schedules whichever you choose.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples to Capri, and Capri to Praiano

Thanks so much for your quick response. Our flight is direct from Barcelona to Naples, and yes, we will have luggage as we are doing a Europe-wide trip. I guess to be on the safe side we should aim for the 15:35 hydrofoil. Should we buy the tickets ahead of time? I'm just worried because I've heard August is a very busy time, and don't want to risk not getting on the boat at all!

And thanks for the suggestion to go to Amalfi instead - I think that may be a better option for us than dragging our suitcases up a steep hill in Positano!

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples to Capri, and Capri to Praiano

Just got back last week from a trip to the Amalfi Coast. So gorgeous! We stayed in Praiano, got on a SITA bus and went to Sorrento. From Sorrento we bought our tickets for the hydrofoil. I think it was around 33-35 dollars round trip. The ferry ride was wonderful over. This was a last minute idea to go to Capri and we didn't spend as much time as we liked, but it is beautiful. The line to get back on the return ferry was unbelievable. When it arrived everyone in line stampeded to get on the ferry. You could not breathe or move. I have never seen such a ruckus and cannot believe they don't have something more organized. Well, we did not get trampled. Ha! The ride back was great. When you get off the ferry the only way up is several flights of stairs. There is a shuttle bus though and you have to buy a ticket that cost 1 euro and it would take you back up. Definitely need to do this if you have luggage. We had it drop us off right near our SITA bus station. Have a great trip!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples to Capri, and Capri to Praiano

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip! That only makes me more excited for my upcoming trip. Was your return ferry from Capri to Sorrento?

If it was that busy in early April, I can only imagine the crowds in mid-August! I will definitely be purchasing ferry tickets ahead of time in that case. It would really stress me out if I wasn't able to make it onto a ferry!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples to Capri, and Capri to Praiano

I emailed a car transfer company regarding private transfer from Amalfi to our hotel in Praiano and they quoted 80 euros (mid-August). Is this fair?

Ideally, we would like to take a SITA bus from Amalfi to Praiano, but we have a lot of luggage and based on what I've read on TA, this may be very difficult for us, particularly in mid-August! Taxi would be our second choice, and at approximately 50 euros would be reasonable. Of course, that depends on the availability of taxis in a small town like Amalfi, especially right after a ferry drops off a bunch of tourists. This is why we are now exploring the idea of a private transfer, but 80 euros seems like a rip off for what seems to be a 25 minute drive. If we do opt for a taxi, is it wiser to catch a ferry to Positano instead where there may be more taxis?

I'm pretty bummed. I booked a lovely hotel in Praiano for a really good price, and also because a lot of people said it was much quieter and more peaceful than other towns on the AC, but now the expenses (of getting to/from Praiano) are starting to add up. I don't even think it's feasible for us to do a day trip to Positano anymore.

Any advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples to Capri, and Capri to Praiano

My apologies - I didn't mean to post my last question in the Capri forum. I have re-posted it in the Amalfi Coast forum.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples to Capri, and Capri to Praiano

I was just reading your post and it sounds similar to my upcoming trip (Sept 15th). I would really love any advice or tips that you learned along the way! My BF and I are going to Barcelona as well and then flying to Venice for 3 nights then Naples. Were planning on taking the ferry from Naples to Capri and spending two nights there. Then 3 nights in Positano and 1 night in Naples before our flight home. Hope you're enjoying (or enjoyed) your trip and I would really appreciate your tips!

Thanks in advance,

Julie

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naples to Capri, and Capri to Praiano

Hi Julie,

Your trip to Europe sounds very similar to my trip! I just got back last weekend. Capri was my absolute favourite destination out of all the places I've been to in Europe. We spent four nights there which really gave us the time to explore the island, try a lot of great restaurants, and visit all the popular beach clubs. We also went to the Amalfi Coast but felt really overwhelmed by the crowds. But that's August on the AC, I guess! I'm sure when you go in September it won't be as busy. We flew both in and out of Naples Airport. The port (Molo Beverello) was about a 30 minute drive from the airport and we actually did end up catching the 15:35 ferry, with time to spare to have a quick bite. The ferry to Capri takes about an hour - we took the quicker hydrofoil. Approaching the island of Capri from the sea was something I will never forget - the massive cliffs rising out of the turquoise blue water, all the mega yachts floating on the sea surrounding the island... Capri is truly like something out of a dream. If you have any specific questions, send me a private message and I would be happy to try and help you out.

9. Re: Naples to Capri, and Capri to Praiano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:16