We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary for first timers

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Help with itinerary for first timers

My husband and I will be traveling to the Amalfi Coast in mid-September to spend 9 nights there. I have 5 of those nights at a hotel in Positano and 3 nights at a hotel in Capri. We fly into Rome in the morning and I was thinking of traveling to Sorrento for our first night and visit Pompeii before traveling to Positano the next day. A friend of a friend has suggested that we trade the nights in Capri for nights in Sorrento, saying there is much more to do there, especially in the evenings and we can take a day trip to Capri.

Now I am thinking that maybe we should go straight to Positano from Rome, spend 4 nights there, travel to Capri for 3 nights and end up back in Sorrento for 2 nights before heading back to Rome. (If I can change all of our hotel dates)

Is staying in Sorrento a better idea than Capri? He didn't think there would be enough there to keep us busy.

My husband and I enjoy beautiful scenery, exploring towns, visiting historical sites and hiking.

Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Help with itinerary for first timers

Jasonbourne1 has provided some very wrong info about Capri. I doubt he has ever been on the Island in September in order to make such a statement.

September is very much "in season". I have been there for a week or 2 most Septembers during the past decade or so. A great time to visit !

{Maybe still a bit too busy for some!}

san francisco, ca.
Level Contributor
512 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help with itinerary for first timers

9 nights on the Amalfi Coast: 7 nights in Capri. Two in Sorrento: 1st day take train and do Pompeii, second day take bus to Positano for an hour or so, then bus on to Amalfi town, change to bus up to Ravello and Villa Cimbrone (lunch), then back to Sorrento for the night. 5 nights in Positano would bore the heck out of me.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help with itinerary for first timers

Why Sorrento?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help with itinerary for first timers

There is no way that there is more to do in the evening in Sorrento than on Capri.

15. Re: Help with itinerary for first timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:15