We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome, Amalfi, Capri - 2 weeks

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Near Future
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rome, Amalfi, Capri - 2 weeks

We're planning our return here for July 2015. It's been many years since we've been to Rome and Capri. We enjoy visiting great gardens, seeing the unique buildings and towns, visiting towns by ferry and basically coming and going at our own leisure (like the occasional day tour). We know we want to stay in Rome for 5 nights then go to Sorrento for maybe a couple nights at the Hilton since we have points. Rome is on points too. Then we're thinking about staying on Capri for 4 nights or so. We would like to visit some towns along the Amalfi coast and most interested in places with gardens we can visit. We may have a couple extra nights. Should we just stay in Sorrento as a base (would be free on points) or stay longer on Capri (will be using other points to redeem for hotel nights there). We like Caesar Augustus because we love expansive views up high and nice pools. I also like being in Anacapri. We aren't into nightlife. This is for our 25th wedding anniversary. We were in Bora Bora this year, British Virgin Islands the year before, Switzerland, Lake Como and Venice before that just to give you an idea the type of traveling we enjoy. Basically, our two weeks of hotel stays will be free due to travel award credit cards (Intercontinental in Rome, Hilton in Sorrento and then using a Capital One or Arrival card to get reimbursed for a non-chain hotel.

Would we miss anything by not staying in Ravello or one of the other towns if we just stay in Sorrento? Once we're on Capri is it best to stay there, saving the Amalfi Coast boat trips for when were staying in Sorrento? Again, this will be July 2015.

san francisco, ca.
Level Contributor
512 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome, Amalfi, Capri - 2 weeks

Base Sorrento for bus to walk down path to Positano for an hour or so, maybe lunch, only gardens might be at the Palazzo Murat along the way..look for sign on stone entrance to hotel. Not much tho. Then bus on to Amalfi and change bust up to Ravello. Take path up the Villa Cimbrone gardens and overlook. Amazing view from the promenade at end of grounds, lines with busts of old Romans. Fantasyland. At least two nights in Capri, and on Anacapri take chair lift up to Mt Salerno, more fantastic 360 views of entire bay and then back down to Villa Michelle with more jaw droppers and nice intimate garden. If you do 4 nights in Capri, you can boat over to Amalfi to do the Ravello must see and skip Positano and skip Sorrento all together, Capri is magic, you will love it. Just there for 6th time in October.

san francisco, ca.
Level Contributor
512 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome, Amalfi, Capri - 2 weeks

P.S. It will probably be hot in July.

Near Future
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome, Amalfi, Capri - 2 weeks

We love the heat! Although, the last time we were in Venice it was 100F which is a bit hot unless you're swimming. In Capri will stay at a hotel with a great pool.

Would you recommend staying on Capri the whole time and then taking ferries to Amalfi coast towns from there or stay in Sorrento if the ferry boat pass is cheaper from there to the other towns? Sorrento would be free (already have points). Maybe stay there for just 2 nights and get in our coast tours and then stay on Capri for the rest? We don't care to see Pompeii.

Do most prefer staying on Capri compared to staying in Ravello or other Amalfi towns? For instance, in French Polynesia some tourists who don't investigate enough ahead of time are talked into staying part of their time in Tahiti by tour package sellers when it's best to stay most of their time on Moorea, Bora Bora or some of the other less populated islands.

The last time we were on Capri was 1998 and while I remember how much we liked it I can't remember enough to compare it to the Amalfi coast towns. We figured on staying on Capri the longest, but we still might have a couple extra days depending on when we fly out. Flights are also free on points so more limited on award seats and thus which day/flight will have seats.

So far, thinking 5 nights Rome IHG De La Ville (award stay), 2 nights Sorrento Hilton (award stay), 4 nights Capri, possibly Caesar Augustus due to great view, gardens and pool, but open to suggestions (Arrival card points stay) and 1 night back in Rome Westin Excelsior (award stay), before early morning flight out of Rome (easier to get award seats out of Rome for our destination). All hotels free on points, but staying longer in Capri (5 or 6 nights instead of 4) will mean having to gain more points than we have now, but not a problem.

Is there a ferry pass that's good for all day to get on and off along the coast and what is the price difference if coming from Sorrento compared to coming from Capri or is it all the same pass?

Edited: 04 August 2014, 17:43
san francisco, ca.
Level Contributor
512 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome, Amalfi, Capri - 2 weeks

Such a pain packing and unpacking and travel logistics for a couple of days so here is what I would do:

At lease 6 night all in Capri.

1. Take the rapid train from Rome to Naples: From 7:30am quite often onward: 70 minutes

2. From Naples Rail station take a cab to Molo Beverello and take the hydrofoil to Capri: 40 minutes.

3. Since you will be staying way up the hill at the Caesar Augustus(stunning views), they should arrange for a car to pick you up at Capri otherwise the taxi will be costly.

4. Any day on the Island you can take a cab back down to the port and take the 9:55am ydrofoil to Amalfi town (40 min)

then a short cab (40eu one way) or bus (3eu one way) up to Ravello to do the pleasant walk up Villa Cimbrone and lunch in Ravello, back to

Amalfi and the last boat back to Capri which leaves a little before 5pm. There are other gardens right in the center of Ravello, so you have to plan your time if you want to see them as well, but they are not very spectacular. Ravello is only a day town. At night it shuts down.

The rest of the time you have on Capri you will cherish. Good thing about Anacapri, the chair lift up to Mt Solaro and Villa Michelle (out of this world views and charming small garden) plus the awesome tile floor of Chiesa San Michele) are at your doorstep. And you can take the (hair-raising) bus down to Capri town as well to do walks there.

If you must, you can also take a short boat ride from Capri to Sorrento and do that in a day easy, same with

Positano.

I was in Capri for 5 night last October, will return for 10 nights in Apr-May 2015. It is heavenly.

Near Future
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome, Amalfi, Capri - 2 weeks

Thanks Convert for the suggestions. One thing in our favor and the only way I would tolerate multiple hotel stays on a vacation is we pack light. Only 2 carry-ons total and a backpack. Yet, we have room for our summer clothes, some dressier clothes and even snorkel gear (if in a tropic area).

We considered bringing our snorkels and masks to explore Capri's sea caves, but is it worth it? After the great snorkeling in French Polynesia I don't know. But, we do enjoy snorkeling different places to see new sights. But, just to sail around Capri and the coast would be nice too.

I remember the hair-raising road down to Capri town on a bus. That was fun looking over the side of the bus and not seeing any road or ground. Plus, he drove fast. Amazing.

Edited: 04 August 2014, 21:00
san francisco, ca.
Level Contributor
512 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome, Amalfi, Capri - 2 weeks

If you don't mind switching hotels then you could go from Rome to Naple(70Min) train to Sorrento (1 hr) to hotel then roam around town the rest of the day and overnight Sorrento. Next day, do the Amalfi, Ravello trip by bus which will give you the entire day to explore Ravello as the buses from Amalfi back to Sorrento run into the night. Then overnight again in Sorrento and next day boat to Capri for at least 4-6 nights without the concern of

the Ravello trip from Capri. Logistically this is better, but it does split up your committed 6 days, so add a day or two for Capri. Snorkeling in Capri. I wouldn't drag your gear for that. I see you already posted a question here on TA forum for this question. P.S. On the first day in Sorrento you might even take the bus to visit Positano for a couple of hours.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome, Amalfi, Capri - 2 weeks

If you want to see the towns of the Amalfi Coast, I would not waste my time staying in Sorrento even if the hotel is free. It is a hassle to get to the AC from Sorrento, due to limited ferry schedule (only 2 per day) and the horrible SITA bus.

I always choose to stay in Positano as IMO it is the most picturesque of the villages and has great access to Amalfi/Ravello and Salerno via ferry (schedule at www.coopsantandrea.com).

If you like gardens, then a visit to Ravello is a must.

I would not haul snorkling gear all the way to Capri, as the snorkling is not nearly as good as the Caribbean, etc.

san francisco, ca.
Level Contributor
512 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome, Amalfi, Capri - 2 weeks

Amen to Engred, the SITA bus is a ramble but it sure is one way to experience the real life of the coast, so if you are not that adventurous then better skip Sorrento. However, that said, anyway you cut it, you still have to take a local bus from Amalfi to Ravello but it's only a half hour to forty five minutes for 3 euro unless you taxi up and back for about 70eu RT. That too is a helluva ride.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome, Amalfi, Capri - 2 weeks

Room demand is high at this time of year, I hope your awards are actually available and not blacked out. While I'll agree that nothing is too bad if its free, the Hilton Sorrento is in an undistinguished location. By that, I mean that we paid a lot for a cliff-front luxury hotel with giant windows showing the islands and Vesuvius. The Hilton has a view of downtown.

My opinion is that only Sorrento (and of course Rome) of the spots discussed is suitable for casual day-tripping. Any Amalfi Coast town is only annoyingly connected to the outside world. I said, "connected", I didn't say un-attractive. Although Sorrento is not ugly, it is the least gorgeous of the places under discussion. Except for Naples.

Near Future
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome, Amalfi, Capri - 2 weeks

obsoperator, do you recommend staying some at one of the coastal towns or just on Capri or both?