We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples Ancient History touring

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Naples Ancient History touring

Coming to Naples area for the history.

Which is a better base camp Naples or Sorrento- want to see Museo Archeologico, Pompeii, Phlaegrean Fields, Cuma and Baia, Herculaneum Have 4 days total to spend. thinking of staying in Sorrento for 3 days and last day in Naples, early flight next morning. How is transportation from Sorrento to Baia and Cuma or would it be better to stay in Naples as a base- need safe area- traveling with teenage children. The last nite will be in Naples, so thinking do museum that day. Thanks for suggestions

Italy Limousine
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours, Private Tours
Leisure Italy - Tours
Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Rail Tours
Insolitaguida
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples Ancient History touring

Hi

I'm doing pretty much the same thing in October. We want to see the museum, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Oplontus and Stabia. You might have a look at the advice I got

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k1014…

We have decided to stay in Sorrento because the rail communications for our sites are just as good if not better than Naples and it sounds a more pleasant place for the teenagers at night - plenty of cafes etc if they still have the energy :)

I believe the transport to Baia and Cuma is a bit tricky - you are probably better to take a cab from Naples and then maybe use the Archeobus to get around the site. Or maybe find a tour. Otherwise you have to take several buses - see my thread. We are going to visit there too but from a sailing yacht the following week.

Have decided to do this:

Day 1: Arrive late morning. Get bus to Plaza Garibaldi, leave luggage in luggage room at railway station. Go to the museum for the afternoon. Retrieve luggage. Get Circumvesuviana to Sorrento.

Day 2 Get Cir. train from Sorrento to Pompeii. Spend day.

Day 3 Get train from Sorrento to Herculaneum and Oplontis

Day 4. Train to Stabia and then pick up our boat late afternoon.

The train that links Sorrento and Naples with many of the historical sites seems to run often and be pretty quick.

Will be very interested in what you do and especially if you find a particularly good guide for Pompeii and the museum. Again, I have seen some recommended in the forums that I will follow up. We were in Rome just before Xmas and used Context tours there - their guides are all archeological or art history grads and you get no more than 6 in a group, generally less. We really had a couple of fantastic tours with them - a world away from other tours I have been on, and lots of insights not available in the guide books. I looked at their Naples tours but they are really expensive so will have to find someone else. If you can afford them though, I really recommend them.

Allie

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples Ancient History touring

Dear travellover119,

They discontinued the Archeobus three years ago although you can still see all the stops it used to make (bus stop poles still up):

http://www.sepsa.it/html/ing/archeobus.htm

You could consider taking the Cumana to Pozzuoli or even the metro train #2 (drops you off further from where the Archeobus starts its tour, however). For the Cumana, You can consider taking a metro train #2 from Napoli Piazza Garibaldi metro station (platform #4 downstairs from Napoli Centrale FS Train Station) to Montesanto, the 2nd stop. Then walk out, go left (you'll see a small patch of olive trees called Vico Olivella), walk on the street which is Via Olivetta (turn right, olive trees at your back) and then after a bit you'll see the Montesanto Cumana Train Station to your right. Use your same ticket to catch a train to Pozzuoli. For Cuma, you can catch a P12 bus from the fish/fruit vendor near the Cumana Train Station. For Solfotara, you can catch a P9 bus from the bus stop at the port (Molo Caligoliano, Caligula loved the Baia)

If you're coming off the Circumvesuviana from Sorrento, you won't need to buy another ticket as your first ticket should still have time on it (a ticket lasts 3 hours and Sorrento to Napoli takes a little over an hour).

If you'd like to go to the Baia, stay on the Cumana until you reach the last stop called Torregaveta. There is no stop for Baia or Cuma on the Cumana although maps/brochures sometimes advertise the fact (hasn't been one for years). When you get off at Torregaveta, there should be a Miseno-Cuma Sepsa bus outside the bar. You can use the bus to head to the Baia Castle, the ruins in the Baia, or even Miseno. If you still have time on your ticket, you can use it, otherwise, you can buy a ticket from the bar at the Torregaveta station (I believe) or any tobacconist. The same bus going the other direction will take you to Cuma. You can ask the driver. Your ticket for Cuma, the Baia Castle, or the ruins in Baia will cover the costs for all three sites so if you hurry, you can see everything for around €4 (cost of the ticket).

In general, if you decide to take the Cumana Train, it's a good idea to always carry extra UnicoNapoli tickets (they cost €1).

I don't think you need to stay in Napoli to see the Baia, its ruins, and Cuma, however, you might try to get an early start to see everything in an afternoon.

For Pozzuoli, you can even take the #2 metro from Piazza Garibaldi as the end of the line in Pozzuoli is near the ancient baths and the huge ancient theatre. For Serapide, you just need to walk down as it's closer to the ocean and near the Pozzuoli Cumana Train Station.

Buona Fortuna...

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples Ancient History touring

Thanks for the information, this is a great way to get info, I'm new to this.

4. Re: Naples Ancient History touring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 14:24